How selective is Arnold & Porter's DC office? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: How selective is Arnold & Porter's DC office?

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:53 pm

rayiner wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Loads of stupid information here thus far. A&P summer here.

A&P DC has 21 summers, ranging from HLS + LR to below T100 + LR. Almost a majority of the summers are non-T14. Fewer than a handful aren't on LR at their respective schools. Top of the class + LR seems more important than pedigree. The MVP student I know there graded on to LR; it actually seems like nearly everyone at the DC office, regardless of school, graded onto LR. A decent chunk of the summers are K-JD from these schools, which makes the previous comment from Magnificent particularly dumb (shocking, I know).

You're better off Top 5% + LR at W&M, W&L, or WUSTL than you are Top 25% at MVP (though Top 20% + LR has a shot). The office is very, very, very focused on personality and a diversity of practice interests.
If this is true then the W&C partner I talked with last year wasn't lying. A&P really has fallen off and is no longer part of the elite in DC. You know your firm has fallen off when it is take in more summers from outside the T14 than in the T14.

Silly me for assuming A&P was on the same level as the rest of the elite firms in DC.
:roll:
Elite firms demand certain credentials because firms that don't demand those credentials aren't elite. Circular logic or no loose ends?

circular.

simpletimes

New

Post by simpletimes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:58 pm

After SF/SV, DC might be the largest market for SLS students.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 am

Magnificent: that's totally weird you should say that. I was talking to a Susman partner last night (we are like BFFs, and he clerked for Scalia, not Roberts who is so ttt), and he said that Arnold and porter is totally on par with W&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:58 am

Magnificent wrote:A&P along with W&C, Cov, and Wilmer are considered the "top" of the DC market if we're talking firm-wide prestige rather than specific practice groups. They are very selective and outside of Harvard/Yale, they only take at most 1-2 students for the rest of the T14. Almost all of their summers have top grades and law review.

They also take folks who don't have top grades but legit DC connections and previous DC related work experience. If you either have top grades from a top school or if you have relevant DC work experience (such as working on the Hill) then you should bid.
You're an insufferable troll who's full of crap. Let's see... Cov regularly hires from UMD, UNC, and GW, among others and several non-T6 schools are represented by 4-5 SA's per year; W&C hires from outside of the top 5% at several non-T6 T14's, same with A&P and Wilmer.

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 am

rayiner wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Magnificent wrote:A&P along with W&C, Cov, and Wilmer are considered the "top" of the DC market if we're talking firm-wide prestige rather than specific practice groups. They are very selective and outside of Harvard/Yale, they only take at most 1-2 students for the rest of the T14. Almost all of their summers have top grades and law review.
lol @ anti-Stanford trolling
nothing against Stanford but there just aren't many of them in DC

most of the top DC firms are filled with Harvard and Yale folks......the Stanford kids are smart enough to stay in the West Coast during the summers rather than coming to DC and living in the humid swamp
I remember meeting a ton of Stanford grads in DC when I was working there. E.g. Hogan's SA class that summer had the largest representation from Stanford. They have the same per capita in Hogan's DC office as Harvard, more than Yale.
who cares about per capita....I'm talking raw numbers and Stanford simply doesn't have as many people at the top firms in DC as Harvard/Yale

if you haven't gotten it by now......Hogan is no longer elite

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 am

Magnificent wrote:
I don't see how it's any more of a TTT in decline than Covington, A&P, or Wilmer.

Also, I don't see what you know that Chambers doesn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 am

Edited. Not worth fighting trolls.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
who cares about per capita....I'm talking raw numbers and Stanford simply doesn't have as many people at the top firms in DC as Harvard/Yale

I'm guessing that you didn't get an offer from OCI from Hogan... But, more to the point, TLS isn't a forum for trashing firms, nor is it the appropriate place for you to live out your delusions of prestige...
Nor is it the appropriate place to abuse the anonymous feature. I hate magnificent as much as the next guy, but come on.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote: TLS isn't a forum for trashing firms, nor is it the appropriate place for you to live out your delusions of prestige...
Cute. You must be new here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”