OCI - Should I actually interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI - Should I actually interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 am

So, a bunch of local and long-distance firms are listed for OCI bidding but I'm interested in a public interest career. There aren't any public interest orgs on the OCI list.

Is it actually worth applying for a job through OCI if I already know what direction I want to take and none of these firms will get me in the door? Is the only benefit of OCI over an unpaid internship somewhere else that I get a paycheck?

I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. I feel like generally people know to apply to OCI and do it, but I'm having a hard time finding the plus side of doing so (other than a paycheck and firm experience that I am really not interested in).

SMU2013

New

Re: OCI - Should I actually interview?

Post by SMU2013 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 am

I say go ahead and do OCI, for two reasons. First, at the very least, it will be good interview experience. Second, it never hurts to have options.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am

What's the worst that can happen, you end up having a $160K a year job that you like?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

There are very very few entry-level PI jobs these days, and the competition for them is fierce. PI organizations and the government just don't have the resources right now to train new lawyers.

So yes, do OCI so at least you have the option of being employed at graduation. I just graduated from a T14 and I can't quite impress upon you how many PI people are unemployed despite good grades and great personalities, all of whom would've had a credible shot at moving into PI or government after being trained at a big firm for a couple of years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”