Houston Boutique (Non-Lit) Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Houston Boutique (Non-Lit) Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 pm

I do not want to go Lit, so I was wondering if there were any firms in Houston that are selective enough to be considered boutique, but aren't Susman/Beck Redden. Am I basically relegated to the normal BigLaw firms?

bdubs

Gold

Re: Houston Boutique (Non-Lit) Firms

Post by bdubs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 pm

What kind of "non-lit" work do you want to do? Chambers lists Duggins Wren Mann & Romero, and Lloyd Gosselink Rochelle & Townsend as top energy boutiques. Aside from energy, I can't think of a selective boutique that does non-litigation work (i.e. there are few if any M&A boutiques, maybe just Wachtell).

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 pm

bdubs wrote:What kind of "non-lit" work do you want to do? Chambers lists Duggins Wren Mann & Romero, and Lloyd Gosselink Rochelle & Townsend as top energy boutiques. Aside from energy, I can't think of a selective boutique that does non-litigation work (i.e. there are few if any M&A boutiques, maybe just Wachtell).
Wachtell is not a boutique (and is 1/3 lit).

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 pm

OP- I'm not sure you understand the concept of a boutique firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
bdubs wrote:What kind of "non-lit" work do you want to do? Chambers lists Duggins Wren Mann & Romero, and Lloyd Gosselink Rochelle & Townsend as top energy boutiques. Aside from energy, I can't think of a selective boutique that does non-litigation work (i.e. there are few if any M&A boutiques, maybe just Wachtell).
Wachtell is not a boutique (and is 1/3 lit).
The point was more that there really aren't many small transactional/M&A specialty shops. Even though it is not a boutique, Wachtell is still pretty small at <250 lawyers (it must have been considered an M&A oriented boutique at one point). It's definitely not in TX though, so it's not really relevant to this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”