Using recommendation from a former partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using recommendation from a former partner

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 pm

So I am currently working at a well-respected NGO in one of the markets that I plan on focusing on for OCI. One of the VPs at the NGO is a former partner at one of the major BigLaw players and has offered to make a call to her former firm on my behalf. Anyone have any clue at what stage I should go about asking her to go ahead and make the call (i.e. before the screener or after I get to the callback stage)? If it matters, I am at the right school for the firm and I have a decent resume but my grades are probably a bit lower than what the firm usually takes.

Anonymous User

Re: Using recommendation from a former partner

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Assuming that this firm is sending someone to your OCI, definitely have your reference reach out before the screening round, once you find out who you'll be interviewing with.

If you're lucky, you'll be interviewing with a partner who your reference actually knows, and they can talk directly. Worst case, your reference can call up whoever at the firm they know on the hiring or executive committees, and a partner on one of those committees can ask the OCI interviewer to keep an eye out for you.

But either way, it's to your advantage to stand out during OCI, when interviewers are seeing 20 people in a day. A good word from a former partner can potentially make a difference in getting to the callback round, and your reference could easily put in another word for you at that stage.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”