Women's suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swoozie

Bronze

Re: Women's suits

Post by swoozie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 am

Just to verify: neutral hose means skin-tone only? (no blacks or anything) Is black ok for business casual?

Also, it seems a lot of the skirts I see on Ann Taylor hit about this length, but is a skirt ~1.5" above your knee acceptable? (not too sure exactly where people are measuring from, so 1.5" from the very top of the knee, about 3" above the middle of my kneecap)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 am

Is that when you're standing up? I personally prefer something that hits a little lower when I'm standing - top/middle of kneecap. But I'm also ancient, so I could be a bit over conservative.

(I wear black hose for business casual, but I have no idea if that's a terrible faux pas or anything.)

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Black hose looks a little stiff to me, especially when you're wearing a black suit on top, but it should be okay for business casual.

I also think that skirts should err on the side of being at or longer than the middle of your knee. If you can sit down and get up without the skirt riding up and then having to tug it down, you're good.

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks, that was my suspicion about the length. :/ I'm short, plus I have short legs, so I feel like it's always so hard to find the "proper" fit. :( I guess my best bet would be to find something on the longer side, and see if I can tailor it shorter?

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 pm

crooked wrote:
Dany wrote:How much do you want to spend?
As little as possible? If I could find something decent at a store like H&M that could get me through a few interviews right now that would be great. But up to $250 for the right bag (one that would hold up for OCI and callbacks in the fall).
Keep checking Kate Spade's website for sales. I got a fantastic black interview bag (now my court bag) for $200.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am

Rocío wrote:
crooked wrote:
Dany wrote:How much do you want to spend?
As little as possible? If I could find something decent at a store like H&M that could get me through a few interviews right now that would be great. But up to $250 for the right bag (one that would hold up for OCI and callbacks in the fall).
Keep checking Kate Spade's website for sales. I got a fantastic black interview bag (now my court bag) for $200.
Thanks for the tip!

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

After searching the forums for what seems to be a pretty unique problem, it seems like this is the most appropriate place to ask. It's not suits exactly, but work wear in general.

I have an eczema problem, to the point where my arms from my elbows up and shoulders often look downright icky. An attorney friend offhandedly said this could hurt me in biglawl hiring because firm events are so often black tie, and he insists that only sleeveless cocktail dresses/gowns are allowed for women.
I was really hoping that jackets or long sleeved dresses would get me by at those kinds of events. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is anything with sleeves really that frowned upon?

Sorry if this is overreactive and dumb, but it was pretty upsetting to hear and I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 pm

sabanist wrote:After searching the forums for what seems to be a pretty unique problem, it seems like this is the most appropriate place to ask. It's not suits exactly, but work wear in general.

I have an eczema problem, to the point where my arms from my elbows up and shoulders often look downright icky. An attorney friend offhandedly said this could hurt me in biglawl hiring because firm events are so often black tie, and he insists that only sleeveless cocktail dresses/gowns are allowed for women.
I was really hoping that jackets or long sleeved dresses would get me by at those kinds of events. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is anything with sleeves really that frowned upon?

Sorry if this is overreactive and dumb, but it was pretty upsetting to hear and I'd really appreciate some feedback.
So I have no idea about real biglawl events, but during the OCI/callback process, there is no reason you shouldn't be in a suitjacket at all times since it's an interview. So it shouldn't impact your ability to get an SA at all.

Was your friend talking about events during the summer? Even then, I'm sure you could wear a cardigan or SOMETHING.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

sabanist wrote:After searching the forums for what seems to be a pretty unique problem, it seems like this is the most appropriate place to ask. It's not suits exactly, but work wear in general.

Pretty sure you can be black tie with sleeves.

Would sheer sleeves be enough or do you need opaque?

Rent the Runway has an entire "long sleeves" category in varying degrees of formal and varying degrees of sexy.

Plus, they'd never see your arms during hiring, since you'd be in a suit anyway.

I don't really know what level of sexy is appropriate for a firm event, but here are some:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 pm

I think he was referring to summer events (and eventual year-round social events), yeah. My instant response was cardigan too, but he absolutely insisted that sleeveless dress/stole is the only thing women can wear.
I really love those dresses, rinkrat, and those were the types of things I was imagining would be okay. Like I said, though, he was convinced that anything like that would make me a pariah because law is such a conservative profession.

Thank y'all, you've really made me feel better. Any more experiences would be welcome too.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 pm

sabanist wrote:I think he was referring to summer events (and eventual year-round social events), yeah. My instant response was cardigan too, but he absolutely insisted that sleeveless dress/stole is the only thing women can wear.
I really love those dresses, rinkrat, and those were the types of things I was imagining would be okay. Like I said, though, he was convinced that anything like that would make me a pariah because law is such a conservative profession.

Thank y'all, you've really made me feel better. Any more experiences would be welcome too.
If it were really that "conservative," then sleeves would be required. :P

I would say that a dude is not the best authority in this case.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 pm

I worked for a few female Biglaw attorneys (for >3 years), and I can't recall any cocktail attire events they attended that would have had a strict (no sleeve) dress code. Well, I'm not sure what the attire was for the annual client development ski trip, but I assume sleeves were involved for most of the time (and I can't imagine a wrap would be frowned upon at a cocktail party in CO in February).

I really don't think needing sleeves is that big of a deal. After all, there are orthodox Jewish attorneys and they have to wear sleeves.

I'd probably stay away from cardigans (too casual), but you can wear blazers with dresses, wraps, and dresses with sleeves.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 am

I've never heard of a no-sleeve dress code.

Also, I adore off-black hose paired with a black skirt in the winter for business casual (or black suit for business formal). It's a fantastic look (and make your legs look awesome :D).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm a senior associate at a V10 big law firm and I can tell you that your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. In fact, sleeveless is what can be frowned upon since some people feel that it looks too casual or, depending on the dress, shows too much skin. I have never in all of my years heard of dresses with sleeves being frowned upon. If anything, sleeves are preferred due to the conservative streak that runs through big law.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: If it were really that "conservative," then sleeves would be required. :P
I had this thought too!
Torney12 wrote: I'm a senior associate at a V10 big law firm and I can tell you that your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. In fact, sleeveless is what can be frowned upon since some people feel that it looks too casual or, depending on the dress, shows too much skin. I have never in all of my years heard of dresses with sleeves being frowned upon. If anything, sleeves are preferred due to the conservative streak that runs through big law.
This is exactly what I was hoping was the case. Thank you so much for your input. So relieved!

purpleparrot

New

Post by purpleparrot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 am

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=7883

Is this grey too light for 1L OCI in the South? Just discovered my navy suit is too big, but I do own this suit in skirt version (I believe the skirt is actually pictured in the lower right corner)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 am

purpleparrot wrote:http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=7883

Is this grey too light for 1L OCI in the South? Just discovered my navy suit is too big, but I do own this suit in skirt version (I believe the skirt is actually pictured in the lower right corner)
Looks perfectly fine to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 am

I wore a suit almost exactly this color and was fine. Just make sure your accessories are appropriately formal (aka black leather).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 am

sheD wrote:I wore a suit almost exactly this color and was fine. Just make sure your accessories are appropriately formal (aka black leather).
To clarify: your jewelry should probably not be black leather. :wink:

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone have an example of wedges that would be appropriate for court/firms?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm

mtyler19 wrote:Does anyone have an example of wedges that would be appropriate for court/firms?
High wedges by their nature look inappropriate to me. A very low wedge can be ok:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:42 pm

JenDarby wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:Does anyone have an example of wedges that would be appropriate for court/firms?
High wedges by their nature look inappropriate to me. A very low wedge can be ok:

Perfect, thank you! I was looking at something similar to these:

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:15 pm

keg411 wrote:
Also, I adore off-black hose paired with a black skirt in the winter for business casual (or black suit for business formal). It's a fantastic look (and make your legs look awesome :D).
IA! I also like to wear black tights and a black blouse with a grey suit, my fav "biglaw" fashion.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:00 pm

courtneylove wrote:
keg411 wrote:
IA! I also like to wear black tights and a black blouse with a grey suit, my fav "biglaw" fashion.
A grey suit is my next biz clothes purchase. But I probably have plenty to be going on with for now.

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

So I have an interview with a large medical association next week. Thoughts on what to wear?

-It's cold/snowy here, could I get away with pants or is a skirt better?
-I have longer hair--is it more appropriate to wear it up or can I wear it down (I tend to feel more comfortable with it down)
-I have a black suit, though I've been reading that black is funeral-esque. Should I do a little shopping this weekend and find something other than black?

Thanks for the help!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”