Contacting Alumni in Firms for OCI as a Transfer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Old School v. New School

Old School (Transfer from)
No votes
New School (Transfer to)
No votes

Total votes: 0

crossarmant

Silver

Contacting Alumni in Firms for OCI as a Transfer

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 am

So, I'm hip deep in perfecting materials for OCI bids due next week for my new transfer school. All of the OCI suggestions say to contact alumni who may be receptive to helping give information on the firm and interview tactics, etc. As a transfer should I be contacting those in the firms from my new transfer school for assistance or seeing if there are any associates from my prior school? I'm worried that those from the new school wouldn't fully see me as a member of the school and those from my old school would be upset about me abandoning ship.

What is the right answer here?

aca0260

Bronze

Re: Contacting Alumni in Firms for OCI as a Transfer

Post by aca0260 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 am

I'd say new school. Yes, they may be hesitant since you didn't spend 1L at their school but alums at the prior school will definitely be more put off.

New

Re: Contacting Alumni in Firms for OCI as a Transfer

Post by 123321 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am

I don't really see much of a debate here. You longer attend your old school. Alumni help out as a service to their alma mater and its students. You are no longer a part of that community. You can try but I would not expect any responses. Tough spot but I'd focus on the new school's alumni. If you transferred you're a good student and your credentials are likely solid. Don't worry too much abou not getting connected up with alumni and focus on learning some info about firms and beaing able to talk about your resume and work experience.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”