GULC Transfer Bid List Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arigoldwannabe

Bronze

GULC Transfer Bid List

Post by arigoldwannabe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Transferring from school in the 50s with a rank in the top 3%. I stayed away from DC for all the reasons I have read on TLS. Focused primarily on NY firms and attempted to find those that aren't super selective with larger classes. Im not sure that I succeeded. This is my first attempt of a bid list of any kind so Im not sure how my ranking strategy ended up. I want to be conservative so that I dont screw myself. Also, born and raised in S. FL and have significant business ties to S. FL.

1 Proskauer Rose NY
2 Bingham McCutchen NY
3 Dechert NY
4 Fried Frank NY
5 Cadwalader NY
6 Akerman Senterfitt MIA
7 hogan lovells MIA
8 Kramer Levin NY
9 Seward & Kissel NY
10 Sidley Austin NY
11 Chadbourne Park NY
12 Willkie Farr NY
13 Jones Day NY
14 Akin Gump NY
15 Winston Strawn NY
16 Strook Strook NY
17 Morgan Lewis NY
18 White & Case MIA
19 Foley MIA
20 Holland Knight MIA
21 clifford chance NY
22 Davis Polk NY
23 Freshfields NY
24 Gibson Dunn NY
25 Milbank Tweed NY
26 Paul Hastings NY
27 Schulte Roth NY
28 Shearman NY
29 Weil NY
30 White & Case NY
31 Skadden NY
32 Sheppard Mullin NY
33 Gunster WPB
34 Alston Bird NY
35 Simpson Thacher NY
36 Kasowitz Benson NY
37 Hunton Williams MIA
38 Kirkland Ellis NY
39 Cahill Gordon NY
40 Baker Hostetler ORL
41 Cooley NY
42 Latham Watkins NY
43 McDermott CHI
44 Linklaters NY
45 Curtis, Mallet-Prevost NY
46 Orrick NY
47 Pillsbury NY
48 Kaye Scholer NY
49 ?????
50 ?????

Help!

Anonymous User

Re: GULC Transfer Bid List

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 pm

somebody else correct me if I'm wrong, but seems conservative. I did GULC's OCI not as a transfer and did great and I've got friends who were transfers and are at v5, v10 firms in NYC.

you didn't do DC because you don't want to be in DC or because TLS said it's too hard? I have the feeling you could possible get DC, but not particularly likely, I wouldn't throw it out.

I expect the list you have right now would very likely get you a spot in NYC biglaw, but I'd guess you could get more selective if you want to (someone else who knows more feel free to chime in).

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:somebody else correct me if I'm wrong, but seems conservative. I did GULC's OCI not as a transfer and did great and I've got friends who were transfers and are at v5, v10 firms in NYC.

you didn't do DC because you don't want to be in DC or because TLS said it's too hard? I have the feeling you could possible get DC, but not particularly likely, I wouldn't throw it out.

I expect the list you have right now would very likely get you a spot in NYC biglaw, but I'd guess you could get more selective if you want to (someone else who knows more feel free to chime in).
Thanks for the response.

I am avoiding DC because I would rather have a good paying job than get cocky and get shut out. Further, I dont have a huge preference.

Can i be more risky?

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 pm

I think you certainly could be more aggressive, though obviously consider your interests, where you want to be, etc. Worst comes to worst, hustle at EIW in the hospitality suites or contact firms that you may want to interview with in DC separately (after lottery results come out) and see what they say. Obviously, goal #1 should be to get a job, but just because you're a transfer doesn't mean you should rule out everything.

I would approach OCS and see if they can give you more information on the typical offers from firms given to transfers from your school range/GPA, if they have it. Could be helpful.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:16 am

chipchip wrote:I think you certainly could be more aggressive, though obviously consider your interests, where you want to be, etc. Worst comes to worst, hustle at EIW in the hospitality suites or contact firms that you may want to interview with in DC separately (after lottery results come out) and see what they say. Obviously, goal #1 should be to get a job, but just because you're a transfer doesn't mean you should rule out everything.

I would approach OCS and see if they can give you more information on the typical offers from firms given to transfers from your school range/GPA, if they have it. Could be helpful.
Thanks for the response. OCS didn't have transfer specific data. All
she would reveal is that transfers did "relatively well."

Anyone have transfer friendly firms I could add? Or any past transfers have any opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”