Firm or Clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Firm or Clerkship?

Go for the small firm
60%
Go for the Circuit Court (state trial level) clerkship
40%

Total votes: 15

SDviaVA

Bronze

Firm or Clerkship?

Post by SDviaVA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Currently I am interning at a small firm that does international trade and investment work for science and technology companies. I will most likely be working here 2 days a week during my 3L year. I feel that in this situation I will have a pretty good chance at transitioning into a position after graduation, if I pursue it.

I also interned at the local Circuit Court (state trial level) last summer and developed a good relationship with the Judge there. I think I would have a pretty good shot getting a clerkship here after graduation as well.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and I be applying to other places, but my question is: would it be advantageous to clerk for the Circuit Court Judge for a year before starting at a firm? Or am I better of just trying to start at the small firm and skip the clerkship?

A little about me: I have a scientific background (5 yrs work expirence in a lab) and I originally was interested in patent law/IP but I would be happy with any position that is science and technology related (which my current internship is). I am also interested in litigation (which my current internship does not do).
Last edited by SDviaVA on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Firm or Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Are you referring to a Federal Court of Appeals judge or a state trial court judge? Assuming the latter, just start at the firm. If you are unsure whether they are going to give you a permanent offer (which is something that you need to explicitly ask about), then try for the state trial court clerkship.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Sorry, it would be a state trial court judge (I realize these titles vary from state to state).

Thanks for the advice, I realize I need to ask, but I was hoping to decide what I actually want to do before I ask. That way I dont ask and then have them offer me a postion only to decide later I would prefer clerking.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 am

1 v 1 tie? This has not been very helpful!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:50 am

u should edit ur 1st post and survey. only reason i voted clerkship is bc i assume u meant US CoA before reading u meant state court.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am

SDviaVA wrote:1 v 1 tie? This has not been very helpful!
bc u havent told us what u want to do/what ur goals are. also, u havent secured either offer....

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 am

dood wrote:u should edit ur 1st post and survey. only reason i voted clerkship is bc i assume u meant US CoA before reading u meant state court.

Ok thanks. I fixed that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:55 am

dood wrote:
bc u havent told us what u want to do/what ur goals are. also, u havent secured either offer....
^this. You need to pursue both.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 am

dood wrote:
To clarify, my ultimate goal is to be a patent litigator, but I would be happy with any position that involves science/technology and pays well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:
^this. You need to pursue both.
Ok, I will be pursing both. I guess I should have phrased the question: If I were to get offers from both, which position would be the most beneficial for my career?

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

Side note: here are my current thoughts on the matter – correct me if I am wrong…

Clerkship
Pros: legal experience I will probably never have another chance to get once I start working.
Cons: Lousy pay (40K-50K), not really directly related to patent or science and technology law.

Firm
Pros: Related the field I want to pursue, pay is better than a clerkship, can start getting relevant experience right away.
Cons: Some employers like to see clerkships on resume, will be missing out on the clerkship experience.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am

Looks like TLS is having as hard of a time deciding as I am....

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 am

Again with the tie.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 am

SDviaVA wrote:Looks like TLS is having as hard of a time deciding as I am....
probably because it doesn't really matter and it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”