Callback Interviews The Next Week? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Interviews The Next Week?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I booked a vacation for the week following OCI. I hadn't thought a thing of it, but then I was talking to a fellow law student who said it might be a problem, because I might get called to schedule a callback and if I have to schedule callbacks for a week later than others do (who can schedule them the day after their OCI interview, if they want...), all the summer positions might be filled by the time I get back.

That seems a little insane to me, but everything about this whole process is insane, so who knows. Is it actually a problem for me to schedule callbacks the first week of september (at the earliest), rather than the last week of august? Do I really need to cancel my vacation?

I should add, I'm applying strictly into the NYC market.

clone22

Bronze

Re: Callback Interviews The Next Week?

Post by clone22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm

If you have a callback, all else being equal, it is in your best interest to have it as soon as possible, while there are still more slots open in their summer class. It's kinda like applying early v. late to law school.

in regards to canceling your summer vacation: it depends, how badly do you want a job?

hth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Just to add my input here, I did OCI in 2010 and delayed some callback interviews so I wouldn't have too many at once (ok I did really well and got like 25 callbacks). I think it is in your best interest to set up callbacks as early as possible with your favorite firms so that you can get in there while there are more slots open and available. Everything worked out well for me but if you do it this way you will have the best chance of getting an offer with one of your favorite firms early so that you can cancel later interviews with less desireable firms. I was not very strategic and set them up over like two months not trying to put the most desireable firms first. Everything worked out well for me, but in hindsight I suggest you 1) set them up as early as possible; 2) set up the more desireable callbacks first.

Cancel the vacation and don't worry about missing class. You only have one shot at 2L OCI so make it count. (unless you don't care about getting a good job)

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I booked a vacation for the week following OCI. I hadn't thought a thing of it, but then I was talking to a fellow law student who said it might be a problem, because I might get called to schedule a callback and if I have to schedule callbacks for a week later than others do (who can schedule them the day after their OCI interview, if they want...), all the summer positions might be filled by the time I get back.

That seems a little insane to me, but everything about this whole process is insane, so who knows. Is it actually a problem for me to schedule callbacks the first week of september (at the earliest), rather than the last week of august? Do I really need to cancel my vacation?

I should add, I'm applying strictly into the NYC market.
Is your vacation domestic or international? If we're just talking about going to the beach or something, you can always do both. It sucks to take a day or two off of your vacation to fly to NYC for an interview, but not as much as it sucks to not get a job. If it's international then yeah, you should probably cancel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Ugh. That was really not what I was hoping to hear!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:54 pm

It won't be an enormous handicap but it will be a slight one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm

OP here. I have a 3.8 and am at a T6 school, but I'm looking to go to fairly competitive NY biglaw firms. Does that make any difference one way or the other? If it really just makes a *small* amount of difference, than I would be inclined to still go (other people are relying on me for the vacation, so I'll wreck the plans of several of my friends if I cancel). But if it's more than a small difference, I would be inclined to cancel and deal with the consequences.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 pm

How did you not think of this? With your grades and school you are probably getting a job though so don't cancel. In general though it's best to schedule your callbacks as soon as possible

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”