Two-year clerkship lined up, crazy not to bid at OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Two-year clerkship lined up, crazy not to bid at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm a rising 3L at a T20, senior ed (non EIC) position on secondary journal top ten percent grades. I'm lucky enough to have lined up a clerkship for two years following graduation with a state supreme court judge in an area which I would be more than happy about working in.

This summer I'm working at a mid-law firm. They don't typically bring their summers back although its a possibility. For me it's a moot point because I know for sure they're not going to offer me a position now for two years down the line.

The question becomes - am I crazy for not wanting to bid during OCI this year? I COULD try to line up an SA position next summer, forego taking the bar for two years and then try to return to whatever firm I ultimately wind up at. My problem, and this perhaps is irrational, is that I don't really want to wait to take two years to take the bar. I'd rather do my clerkship and apply for jobs during my clerkship which I think (assuming I keep my grades up) I should be fairly competitive at and not have to work for two years having the bar hanging over my head.

Does anyone have any experience SAing AFTER graduation but before clerking? If so did you find it worth it? Any input is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Two-year clerkship lined up, crazy not to bid at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:44 pm

It was more common before the recession, but even now, many clerks summer at a law firm prior to taking the bar. I am doing it (with my 2L firm). It's fine, though doing Barbri simultaneously is tough.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”