Dallas County DA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dallas County DA?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am

I know there is a broad post regarding DA/PD, but am curious about this office specifically. Anyone with knowledge of hiring process (I know post-licensing, but they've been tight-lipped otherwise), who is considered, what is considered?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Dallas County DA?

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Typically only hire people who worked for them over the summers. Huge backlog of people they want to hire but have no funds for. Last I heard, the waiting list was over 20 people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Typically only hire people who worked for them over the summers. Huge backlog of people they want to hire but have no funds for. Last I heard, the waiting list was over 20 people.
Good to know, but where'd you hear this from?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Typically only hire people who worked for them over the summers. Huge backlog of people they want to hire but have no funds for. Last I heard, the waiting list was over 20 people.
Good to know, but where'd you hear this from?
I go to school in Dallas, and I worked in the criminal courts last summer. Still talk with some of the ADA's I met.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 pm

OP here. Thank you so much for the information, kalvano. That news is definitely a bummer; is the turnover rate not very high? Do you know whether it will it help to attempt to intern there in the interim (until I am licensed)? (And do you know whether they take interns in the fall, and what the process of getting an internship there is like?) I can afford to not take a paycheck until November/December - but then I'll be flat broke. Debating whether this is a smart move - or a really, really dumb one. Not to bombard you with questions, but it's great to hear from someone with some knowledge of their office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Turnover rate is average. They tend to fire in bunches, especially after an election. It's pretty political, so people leave as well as get fired.

As for internships, they have formal summer programs, and that's where they usually hire from. We get Symplicity postings about them. Does that mean non-local people are screwed? No, but it's a much harder task. They don't want to be a backup for people who couldn't land a civil job.

I think you'll find a bunch of competition from local people who have interned there over the summers during law school, those folks will take precedence. And the backlog is the real problem. Let's say they love you and want you to work for them...they still have a bunch of people ahead of you that would get taken before you. Thats not to say they can't move people ahead of the line if they want, but there is no guarantee.

But they do have some openings online listed, so maybe that's clearing up. Or they may just be wanting resumes.

If you're interested in the area, though, you should also apply to Denton and Colin County DA's as well. They are close to Dallas and it would expand your opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks again for the tips!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

I am pretty sure they have several openings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”