New Jersey Law Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YehudaBauer

New

New Jersey Law Firms

Post by YehudaBauer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:42 pm

What are the best firms in New Jersey? What kind of schools and grades to get jobs at them?

I have heard of McCarter & English; Wilentz, Goldman, and Spitzer; Lowenstein Sandler; and Norris, McLaughlin, and Marcus.

YehudaBauer

New

Re: New Jersey Law Firms

Post by YehudaBauer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Bump

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Top firms headquartered in NJ:
Archer & Greener
Gibbons P.C.
Greenbaum Rowe Smith & Davis LLP
Lerner David Littenberg Krunholz & Mentlik LLP
Lowenstein Sandler PC
McCater & English LLP
McElroy Deutsch Mulvany & Carptenter LLP
Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland & Perretti LLP
saiber llc
Sills Cummis & Gross P.C.

Check out their websites to see about schools & grades.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 pm

I'd add Cole Schotz to this. Feel like there are others missing as well but my brain is mired in NYC OCI right now.

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:46 am

Add to your list

Porizio Bromberg
Bressler Amery

A few more firms take summers as well. But thy are either NJ offices of national firms (Patton Boggs, Proskauer Rose) or smaller NJ firms (Connell Folley).

As far as schools they hire from. T14 + NJ schools mostly. If you are from a NJ school, top quarter plus a journal will give you a fighting chance. T14, the 1/3rd. As with most secondary markets, ties seem to be important as well.

Because of smaller summer classes (145 total summer positions 2009 to about 95 in 2011) firms are more selective. Outside of NJ schools and t14 you will see the occasional Fordham/ BC/BU student thrown in the mix as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YehudaBauer

New

Post by YehudaBauer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:29 pm

And how much do these firms pay?

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:And how much do these firms pay?
This was from a post last year. Seems pretty accurate for the most part.

$145k - Proskauer (Newark), Patton Boggs (Newark)
$140k - Lerner David (IP only), Lowenstein Sandler
$135k - Sills
$130k - Drinker Biddle, Riker Danzig
$125k - Fox Rothschild
$120k - Bressler, Cole Schotz, Day Pitney, Porzio
$115k - Greenbaum
$110k - Archer & Grenier, connell foley, MDM&C
$105k - NMM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Currently a SA at one of the NJ firms mentioned here. Go to a T14 school and can tell you that they recruited me from (just barely) below median. The NJ school people at the firm, however, were much closer to the top of the class.

FWIW, Proskauer's office is labor law only.

Mccarter English doesn't have a summer program.

All of these firms have ridiculously small summer classes, so it's pretty damn competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Not to freak anyone out, but I can't stress enough how tough it is to get a NJ SA position .... I have lifelong ties to NJ, was top 25% at a T30 with a secondary journal, and got absolutely destroyed last year. When most firms only take a summer class of between 3 and 5 and are calling back dozens of people, the odds are not in your favor. Apply early and kill those interviews!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to freak anyone out, but I can't stress enough how tough it is to get a NJ SA position .... I have lifelong ties to NJ, was top 25% at a T30 with a secondary journal, and got absolutely destroyed last year. When most firms only take a summer class of between 3 and 5 and are calling back dozens of people, the odds are not in your favor. Apply early and kill those interviews!!
Not that I don't think it's hard to get an sa in nj but top 25% at a t30 isn't much of a shoe in anywhere. Is it?

FordhamBrah

New

Post by FordhamBrah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to freak anyone out, but I can't stress enough how tough it is to get a NJ SA position .... I have lifelong ties to NJ, was top 25% at a T30 with a secondary journal, and got absolutely destroyed last year. When most firms only take a summer class of between 3 and 5 and are calling back dozens of people, the odds are not in your favor. Apply early and kill those interviews!!
Last edited by FordhamBrah on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Working in a smaller South Jersey firm (15-60), but I did interview and callback at Archer. They took a class of 3 kids. Insane.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

I personally did CB's with almost every NJ firm last year, so I can probably give you the scoop. I was rejected from 3 and withdrew from the rest when I took a NYC offer. I lived in NJ basically my entire life and lived down the street from 2 of the firms.

The firms that take big classes are Lowenstein Sandler and McElroy Deutsch. Lowenstein is the most prestigious NJ firm that hires summers and considers themselves on par with NYC firms. They hire a mix of T14's, T20/30's and top ranked NJ students. They've also been known to skip NJ residents at T14's with solid grades straight to the callback stage. McElroy Deutsch is mostly a lit firm and I'd say their work is a little lower-end than most of the other "midlaw"-type firms -- but they're growing and it really seems like a good place to be.

McCarter English is on par with Lowenstein but they cut their summer program. Pretty sure they do 99% of their hiring post-clerkship now.

Wilentz, Greenbaum Rowe, Gibbons and Wolff & Samson all had summer programs at one point, but no longer do. Like McCarter English, they hire mostly post-clerkship. Norris McLauglin (NMM) is struggling right now and I doubt they'll have a summer program next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”