Blanket or Limit? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Blanket or Limit?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello all, I'm crafting my bidding strategy and I'm curious what sort of a strategy I should use. My school has about 65 OCI firms coming through. I am currently ranked 4th in my class and just graded onto Law Review at my state's flagship school, ranked in the top 50 (TTT to some of you :P). Anyways, I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to blanket the OCI bid list or if I should narrow it a bit? I don't want to be pretentious and assume I'd get a good number of screeners but I'd hate to botch an interview and not receive a callback because I'm running around like a crazy person. I looked at geography and, as of now, I intend to bid 52 firms. Is this the stupidest move ever? This is for OCI and early OCI weeks if that helps. Anyways, what would you do in this situation?

...though I should know the answer by now: retake. ED UVA.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Blanket or Limit?

Post by fatduck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:05 pm

what's the downside to using all your bids? you can always decline some of your interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 pm

fatduck wrote:what's the downside to using all your bids? you can always decline some of your interviews.

We can decline/miss up to two. If you miss more than that or decline more than that, you are removed from the OCI process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Just go for it. I did 43 (if I recall correctly) at the time. It wasn't a very pleasant week (boring above all, to keep repeating the same answers to the same questions), but it all worked out. Interviews are only 20 minutes, so 52 x 20 is still only 17 hours divided over several days.

Just make sure you start on time with your research. You do want to know a bit about every firm you interview with, which means at the very least spending some time on their website the night before.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Bid all of them because otherwise, if you strike out, I will LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:Bid all of them because otherwise, if you strike out, I will LOL

How about if I strike out, I will never speak of it? lol. I l like your style. Risk averse is never a bad thing...well, not often anyways.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 pm

What a dumb question. Use all your bids.

Lawyerhead

New

Post by Lawyerhead » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:What a dumb question. Use all your bids.
Pretty much. But I think the OP just wanted to stealth brag? "I currently have no job. Should I purposefully decrease my chances of getting one? Kthx."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”