Clerkship Chances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm at a TT school in the Northeast. I'm in the top 5%, secondary journal, and moot court. What are my odds at any federal clerkship, including magistrate and bankruptcy. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances at this point? I am currently working with a federal judge as an intern for my 2L summer to show my interest. I am planning on applying to judges across the country. I have no intention to turn down any district. I also took Federal Courts and received an A. I don't know if this actually makes a difference either.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traydeuce

Silver

Re: Clerkship Chances

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Your chances aren't that bad in the district your school's in, or in the district you're from, provided they're not overly competitive districts; you may be out of luck if you attend Brooklyn Law and grew up in Brooklyn. Outside of that, I wouldn't expect to get interviews (and I wouldn't expect to get interviews in your home district/school's home district either, but your odds are okay), but you could. Secondary journal at a TT is a bit of a killer, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Do you think that even applies to the bankruptcy or magistrate judges? My perception is that I probably won't get interviews for Art. III but a lot of bankruptcy judges only look for top 33%, and I have a background in bankruptcy with my classes (taken debtor and creditor law + secured transactions), so I might be a little more lucky on the Art. I judges.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm

You have a decent shot, especially with magistrate and bankruptcy. Some state courts have started hiring, and you would be more competitive for those.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”