Paralegal: negotiating salary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jurisx

Bronze

Re: Paralegal: negotiating salary?

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 pm

IAFG wrote:Woah, lots of fuckwaddery up in here. I was just gonna say that I graduated during the boom and no one with a liberal arts degree from my big state school was making more than $50k. Since then entry level salaries have only decreased.

I really do feel sorry for self-aggrandizing law students though. It must suck so much harder when they find out they're not at the top of the food chain even in their own little universe.
Floor not ceiling. Not top, minimal standard.

>>>>>FLOOR>>>>>>>

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:39 pm

jurisx wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Lol jurisx, I wish that I could see your face when you realize halfway thru your SA that the paras know 1000x more than you do, and that they can sink your chancs at an offer/advancement. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have the opportunity since you'd have to actually get an SA first.
re-read my last post. (all of them for that case)

You won't, your too stupid. But ok.
:lol:

I call troll.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:41 pm

paratactical wrote:
jurisx wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Lol jurisx, I wish that I could see your face when you realize halfway thru your SA that the paras know 1000x more than you do, and that they can sink your chancs at an offer/advancement. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have the opportunity since you'd have to actually get an SA first.

I call troll.
I call troll on those too dumb to read before they reply.

If you've been posting since 2009 how can you not be a full time attorney with a life instead of still posting here? You have a lot of free time or just fail out/never get in?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:56 pm

jurisx wrote:
paratactical wrote:
jurisx wrote:

I call troll.
I call troll on those too dumb to read before they reply.

If you've been posting since 2009 how can you not be a full time attorney with a life instead of still posting here? You have a lot of free time or just fail out/never get in?
lol i know right 30k+ posts? i bet she's a fucking paralegal.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 pm

jurisx wrote:

To quote Westley: "I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon."

What they are saying, you douchenozzle, is that your attitude is not hide-able, and that everyone will know you are an arrogant elitist prick and dislike you for it. Therefore you will be unlikely to get jobs and will be torpedoed from the ones you do get.

Either learn some humility and take it down 5000 notches, or don't be surprised when we laugh at you.

ETA: I am also considering you might be a troll. If so, well played sir. If not, you suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:05 pm

jurisx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
z0rk wrote:I think experience is a big part in setting the salary.

First off, check out the local market salaries for Paralegal I/Jr. Paralegal positions on http://www.payscale.com and http://www.salary.com. Show the data to your parents if they need assurance.

I started at a mid-sized firm in a secondary market as a paralegal just over 35k right out of college. I got the job because of some background experience I had interning at law firms, but the fact was I needed training. Any recent graduate needs training, and so the entry level salary must accomodate for that. My billing rate was $120 to start, it got pushed to a higher number as time went on and that increase was also reflected in my compensation. I still earn under 40k baseline salary after working for more than three years, but with overtime I stretch well above that amount (I bill close to 2100 annually). I will be attending law school part-time this fall and I am looking for government paralegal positions. Those opportunities pay around 45-50k and seek more experienced candidates (3+ years at a minimum).

Perhaps you can explain to your parents that you would get paid closer to what they think you deserve, but not as a baseline salary.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks, I checked the data, but data tends to be around 45-50,000 a year for paralegal/jr paralegal/legal secretary positions. I wanted to show the data to them, but it's just fodder for them to say "seee.... you SHOULD be getting paid more".

It's frustrating because I actually declined a few offers (<$10/hr), and I'm about to accept the offer I get, which is ~$25k per year (keep in mind, i am entry-legal with no relevant experience). honestly im just grateful to have A job in this crappy economy. I have friends who have been looking for full-time positions for over 6+ months (they are doing temp jobs, working at non-related places while looking for actual jobs). and I'd honestly rather have A job paying 25K a year that is full time, in the legal field, rather than doing odd jobs here and there.

I WANT to take this position honestly. Even if I find a similar legal secretary/entry level paralegal position, honestly the difference would be maybe a few hundred $ a month. That does seem a lot, since it adds up, but... I'd rather sacrifice that few hundred potential gain, rather than have NO job. It's just the rentals giving me pressure/doubt/confusion @_@
just do whats best for you.
I second the notion of doing what is best for you.

Did you check the data for Paralegal/Legal Assistant I (not II or III, just I or Jr.)? 45 is a bit on the high end.

Congratulations on getting an offer. Though it is low, it is still and offer and something to work with. I forget, will you be living at home while working? That could be a major benefit that would allow you to focus on work without the added stressors of rent, etc. Does this 25k job offer overtime? any benefits? weigh the entire package, not just the salary.

My advice if you take this position: Work hard, and try to learn everything you can while on the job. If you work for good people then they will appreciate whatever interest and enthusiasm you bring to the table (so long as its productive). This will be helpful to you in forming a basis and understanding of why you want might eventually want to go to law school. Paralegaling will also be helpful with a small portion of classwork, as you will have some practical examples to pair with much of the theory you need to understand and process.

Ignore all the naysaying on here. It's either spam/trolling, or just rude elitist attitudes. If you ever feel comfortable revealing your identity, I welcome you to send me a private message to discuss your situation more indepth.

Once again, congratulations and good luck!!

EDIT: I accidentally posted this as anonymous, but it's z0rk

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”