How do firms decide what is "diversity?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abc12345675

Bronze

How do firms decide what is "diversity?"

Post by abc12345675 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 pm

I was wondering about this because I found that a girl at median at my T2 got a diversity SA at my secondary market's biggest firm. She is 1/4 Korean apparently, looks white as a ghost, went to Ivy undergrad and parents are both professors. This annoyed me quite a bit.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: How do firms decide what is "diversity?"

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

She must have demonstrated a commitment to promoting diversity in the community.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm

abc12345675 wrote:She is 1/4 Korean apparently, looks white as a ghost ... This annoyed me quite a bit.
lulz

2012JayDee

Bronze

Post by 2012JayDee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:07 pm

She=Diversity
Some firms female:male ratio is quite low

Maybe she's LGBT?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:04 pm

2012JayDee wrote:She=Diversity
Some firms female:male ratio is quite low

Maybe she's LGBT?
Also, she is Asian.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 pm

ITT: OP complains about mixed-race people counting for diversity

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 pm

ru2486 wrote:ITT: OP complains about mixed-race people counting for diversity
Exactly.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 pm

ru2486 wrote:ITT: OP complains about mixed-race people counting for diversity
ITT: OP is mad no one in his family had DAT YELLOW FEVER

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Also, OP, if you do, in fact, support diversity initiatives generally, fuck you for getting mad at mixed race people taking advantage of diversity initiatives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Maybe OP is more upset about this girl's prestige (Ivy league, parents both professors).

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

abc12345675 wrote:She is 1/4 Korean apparently, looks white as a ghost, went to Ivy undergrad and parents are both professors. This annoyed me quite a bit.
The first half of her complaint is racial blood measuring juxtaposed with her appearance.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Mix children, especially with Asian, get prejudice from both sides. I don't know what OP is trying to imply, but it's not justified.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Maybe OP is more upset about this girl's prestige (Ivy league, parents both professors).

No no no, "OP is a racist" make sure to stay on point!
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm somewhat surprised by the reaction to this post.

I'm not racist and I certainly support diversity initiatives. What I was getting at is that this particular situation struck me as someone gaming the system.

To me, diversity initiatives should be aimed at people who truly do experience some sort of prejudice. Call me crazy, but someone with an Italian last name who no one in the world would suspect is Asian at all upon meeting her does not experience any type of prejudice. So why should she benefit from a diversity initiative?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:06 pm

abc12345675 wrote:I'm somewhat surprised by the reaction to this post.

I'm not racist and I certainly support diversity initiatives. What I was getting at is that this particular situation struck me as someone gaming the system.

To me, diversity initiatives should be aimed at people who truly do experience some sort of prejudice. Call me crazy, but someone with an Italian last name who no one in the world would suspect is Asian at all upon meeting her does not experience any type of prejudice. So why should she benefit from a diversity initiative?
ROFL after your trolling in the Googlebomb gay marriage thread you are not surprised one bit.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:12 pm

wiseowl wrote:

ROFL after your trolling in the Googlebomb gay marriage thread you are not surprised one bit.
I actually still am surprised.

There are numerous African-American, Asian, and 1st generation American students at my school. Seems unjust to me that someone who could never experience prejudice (and yes, could never. Because you'd have no clue she is asian unless she told you) is benefiting from a diversity initiative instead of those who I'd imagine those initiatives were designed to help.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
I'm not racist and I certainly support diversity initiatives.
Then,
rad lulz wrote:fuck you for getting mad at mixed race people taking advantage of diversity initiatives.
Just because she doesn't looks diverse to you doesn't mean she is not. And who are we to judge? The firm obviously thought she met the requirements.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:53 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

There are numerous African-American, Asian, and 1st generation American students at my school. Seems unjust to me that someone who could never experience prejudice (and yes, could never. Because you'd have no clue she is asian unless she told you) is benefiting from a diversity initiative instead of those who I'd imagine those initiatives were designed to help.
The purpose of diversity I initiatives is to add diversity, not remedy past discrimination. Sorry she is not diverse enough for you bro.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

The purpose of diversity I initiatives is to add diversity, not remedy past discrimination. Sorry she is not diverse enough for you bro.
Well see that's what I didn't understand. I thought the purpose of these initiatives was to provide assistance to those who face/could face employment discrimination. It's not that I don't think she's "diverse" enough to add diversity. I just didn't think that was the point

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

2012JayDee

Bronze

Post by 2012JayDee » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:03 pm

abc12345675 wrote:[Well see that's what I didn't understand. I thought the purpose of these initiatives was to provide assistance to those who face/could face employment discrimination. It's not that I don't think she's "diverse" enough to add diversity. I just didn't think that was the point

You mean from people that don't thinks she's diverse enough?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:06 pm

This is dumb. No one is forcing the firm to make diversity hires. They are probably really into her for her grades and are just happy they can check the diversity box while they're at it.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:08 pm

2012JayDee wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:[Well see that's what I didn't understand. I thought the purpose of these initiatives was to provide assistance to those who face/could face employment discrimination. It's not that I don't think she's "diverse" enough to add diversity. I just didn't think that was the point

You mean from people that don't thinks she's diverse enough?
You're misunderstanding my point. My point is that no one would ever suspect that she's anything but a white person. So therefore there would be no employment discrimination for a race/ethnicity reason, which I thought was the purpose of diversity initiatives. Apparently I was wrong about that.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:08 pm

IAFG wrote:This is dumb. No one is forcing the firm to make diversity hires. They are probably really into her for her grades and are just happy they can check the diversity box while they're at it.
At median T2 at the market's biggest firm. They hire one 1L each year from my school for a "diversity summer associate program"

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
IAFG wrote:This is dumb. No one is forcing the firm to make diversity hires. They are probably really into her for her grades and are just happy they can check the diversity box while they're at it.
At median T2 at the market's biggest firm. They hire one 1L each year from my school for a "diversity summer associate program"
How do you know her grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”