Getting back to NC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting back to NC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 pm

top 20% at WUSTL, pretty significant ties to NC (never left the state until law school). Plan on being back in the area during the beginning of August, so trying to score some interviews for that week...am I competitive for a decent job, or will I be hurt for not staying in state for law school?

Anonymous User

Re: Getting back to NC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 pm

NC is tough in general. With those kind of ties and grades, you should at least have a shot. WUSTL will certainly be a strike against you though, given that you will be competing against people 1) with similar pre-LS ties and better grades from in-state law schools; 2) with similar pre-LS ties and similar grades from T14 law schools.

If you apply broadly (both Charlotte and Triangle markets) and work hard to sell your desire to be in NC permanently, I think you'll be able to land something. No guarantees though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Poster above is too optimistic IMO. I am at a T14 almost top 10% with decent ties and was shut out last year. At least at the top firms I think you have an uphill battle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Poster above is too optimistic IMO. I am at a T14 almost top 10% with decent ties and was shut out last year. At least at the top firms I think you have an uphill battle.
I agree. I'm also T14 top third, lifelong NC resident, and was shut out in NC, despite numerous DC/NY offers.

Given that NC opens about 1 new law school a year now, it's going to be harder and harder to crack these anemic markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am

Top 1/3 at UNC, on moot court but not a journal, lifelong NC resident except for attending undergrad in New England. Two things: 1) Every NC interviewer asked about/seemed wary of the out of state undergrad. 2) I get the feeling that it's close to top 10% required for NC biglaw from my school. Not universally true of my peer law students, but ones whose stories I do know outside of top 10% seemed to have contacts, etc. that opened the door for them. Even small but respected firms with corporate, etc. practices barely sniffed me. It is tough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 pm

OP, do some more extensive research and see if any WUSTL grads are partners at these Charlotte and Raleigh firms. Then see if they did UG in NC like you, and make and use that connection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”