OCI at UVa.--another one of those am I FucX threads Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI at UVa.--another one of those am I FucX threads

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey Guys,

2.9 at uva...any chance to get hired ANYWHERE???
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: OGI

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Yes. But you need to give WAY more details about yourself (where you are from, work experience, etc.).

Anonymous User

Re: OGI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 am

OP here, so sorry. I was just in a shock, panicked and cried for about the whole night.

I am from the West Coast (SF, LA), went straight through but have some good work experience, I have connections but at V10 firms that are rigid on GPA, I want to do Lit, I have a great 1L job, I am not a minority (unless female counts)

I am waiting on two grades, but even with those being high I would still only be at a 3.1. I am really nervous, I mass mailed most mid size firms, and I am networking like crazy, going to do the bay area firm, our ogi and of course all the california fairs.

I am really worried, at this point I am paying sticker, chose UVA because figured if I didnt do well I would rather be here and at the same time have NO idea why I did terribly. Truly no idea.

Please help

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Re: OCI at UVa.--another one of those am I FucX threads

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:58 am

You need to magnify everything on your resume that would be useful to a law firm and create a really good argument about why firms should hire you despite your GPA. You're going to be asked about your GPA by at least some employers, so start thinking about how you can show 1) that you're a good writer, 2) that you're a hard worker, and 3) that you have relevant skills/experience that would be useful to a law firm. Find/produce some really good writing samples if you don't already have some. Ask every rising 3L or alum you know at UVA who isn't going into biglaw how they landed their 2L job and whether and how it led them to post-graduation employment. Keep your options open, look everywhere, don't get discouraged, and try to bring your grades up over the next two years and I'm sure you'll end up with something.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:You need to magnify everything on your resume that would be useful to a law firm and create a really good argument about why firms should hire you despite your GPA. You're going to be asked about your GPA by at least some employers, so start thinking about how you can show 1) that you're a good writer, 2) that you're a hard worker, and 3) that you have relevant skills/experience that would be useful to a law firm. Find/produce some really good writing samples if you don't already have some. Ask every rising 3L or alum you know at UVA who isn't going into biglaw how they landed their 2L job and whether and how it led them to post-graduation employment. Keep your options open, look everywhere, don't get discouraged, and try to bring your grades up over the next two years and I'm sure you'll end up with something.

Good luck!
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

This is exactly what I needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 am

most importantly - when OCI comes, do not bid on california firms. and do not bid on any v30 firms either. or any v100 firms with small class sizes. paying sticker, your # goal must be to land biglaw at any cost. so don't be picky.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am from the West Coast (SF, LA),
Anonymous User wrote:most importantly - when OCI comes, do not bid on california firms. and do not bid on any v30 firms either. or any v100 firms with small class sizes. paying sticker, your # goal must be to land biglaw at any cost. so don't be picky.
Is this really true? For someone like OP with ties, is CA actually harder than NY?
OP, sounds to me like you're on the right track. You should swallow the idea that you may not get a job through OCI, but there are other paths. Echoing Julio, for the short term shore up the basics: strong writing sample, error-free resume, interviewing practice. Talk to your 1L profs in person about your exams, b/c there's no reason you can't improve your grades next year. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”