Tell firm about medical condition? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell firm about medical condition?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 am

Within the past year, I was diagnosed with a pretty rare medical condition. It doesn't affect anything externally so no one would know that I have it unless I disclose.

The condition has the potential to interfere with my work efficiency and sometimes does, but I can push through it most of the time. However, even with medicine, I'm really uncomfortable everyday and it undoubtedly affects socializing because I'm in so much discomfort. Should I disclose this to the firm or just let it be? I don't want the firm to think I'm antisocial, but there have already been a few times this summer where I've stayed very quiet at social events because I'm focusing on the discomfort/pain I'm in. I've even skipped a few optional social events just because I wanted to go home and rest because the condition made me feel so miserable.

My concern is that if I do disclose, the firm could potentially hold it against me come offer time. Of course, they wouldn't say that's the reason I got no-offered, but I imagine it could be held against me. Is this a rational fear? Or should I just disclose?

Anonymous User

Re: Tell firm about medical condition?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Within the past year, I was diagnosed with a pretty rare medical condition. It doesn't affect anything externally so no one would know that I have it unless I disclose.

The condition has the potential to interfere with my work efficiency and sometimes does, but I can push through it most of the time. However, even with medicine, I'm really uncomfortable everyday and it undoubtedly affects socializing because I'm in so much discomfort. Should I disclose this to the firm or just let it be? I don't want the firm to think I'm antisocial, but there have already been a few times this summer where I've stayed very quiet at social events because I'm focusing on the discomfort/pain I'm in. I've even skipped a few optional social events just because I wanted to go home and rest because the condition made me feel so miserable.

My concern is that if I do disclose, the firm could potentially hold it against me come offer time. Of course, they wouldn't say that's the reason I got no-offered, but I imagine it could be held against me. Is this a rational fear? Or should I just disclose?
I would say do not disclose unless it is physically noticeable. Otherwise they may say they understand in interviews but why give them another reason to ding you.

Edited: Didn't realize you were already at a firm. Try to find someone at the firm you are close with and ask them what they think. Either way, I would say do not disclose.

splitmuch

Silver

Re: Tell firm about medical condition?

Post by splitmuch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Within the past year, I was diagnosed with a pretty rare medical condition. It doesn't affect anything externally so no one would know that I have it unless I disclose.

I'm just talking out of my ass here but if your work has been solid and you've just missed social events I would disclose because while "reasonable accommodation" probably wouldn't include less work, it would likely include less social demands. In contrast, a summer with no medical condition as a reason who skips social events would certainly run the risk of the no-offer.

If you were at the interview stage, I'd definitely say don't disclose, but now I think there is a good argument you should.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”