Cornell Bidlist - 1st Shot Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cornell Bidlist - 1st Shot

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 am

Hey guys, this is my first shot at doing a bidlist. This is only for day 1 of our August Job Fair. I believe we bid separately on each day. My gpa is 3.26. 1 year of avg work experience. Mandarin conversational fluency. Basic French.

I tried to rank by along the following spectrum: 1. lowgpa/few interviews 2. low gpa/many interviews 3. moderate gpa/few interviews 4. moderate gpa/many interviews 5. high gpa/few interviews 6. high gpa/many interviews. Since this is a very rough first draft list, I know I'm obviously missing some deeper knowledge that could affect the order. Please let me know what you think.

Seward Kissel
Strook
Holland & Knight
Carter Ledyard
Proskauer
Vinson & Elkins*
Schulte
Cadwalader
Kasowitz
Chadbourne & Park
Wilson Sonsini
Milbank
White & Case
Mofo
Fried Frank
Davis Polk
Mofo Beijing
Ropes & Gray
Cravath
Wilmer Hale DC
Cleary
Cooley
Gibson Dunn

Anonymous User

Re: Cornell Bidlist - 1st Shot

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 am

With a median GPA that is near a 3.5, you are seriously wasting bids by applying to DPW, Mofo, CSM or Ropes.

At this point, I think you should be trying to get as many NYC biglaw interviews as possible, maybe you can mass mail these firms if you want.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30 am

Cleary and Cravath need to go. Probably Kasowitz, Gibson and Davis as well. Also, beware that you have some tiny classes up top, like Seward. Otherwise, much of it looks pretty standard

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am

no shot at wilmerhale dc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 am

your bid list is, for the most part, not realistic. you need to come to terms with the fact that your grades are too far below median to have any chance at many of these firms. getting a market paying job would be a win for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 am

is cornell's median really a 3.5??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 am

OP here. Just to clarify, this is only day 1 of our bidding. We bid separately per day, so these were pretty much the only firms even fathomable for me. The rest for day 1 were IP firms or cravath. I hold no illusions about getting wilmerhale or mofo, etc., but I need to round out the bottom of my list with something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 pm

From OP: 1 year of avg work experience.
To OP: This could be very helpful. Can you expound on your WE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm

OP here: work experience is nothing special. I did tutoring for a few months, then for the rest of the year worked as a fundraising consultant. Lot's of responsibility, client interaction, project based work. But it's a very niche industry, and it's no F500/ibank/consulting/etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: work experience is nothing special. I did tutoring for a few months, then for the rest of the year worked as a fundraising consultant. Lot's of responsibility, client interaction, project based work. But it's a very niche industry, and it's no F500/ibank/consulting/etc.
Yep, not too much of a “wow” factor there. It will be interesting to see how you make out. Hope you check back with your results after the dust settles.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:is cornell's median really a 3.5??
No, it's more like a 3.42 (theoretical max is a 3.5, it's semi-discretionary). OP's 3.26 is below even the published median, so a 3.26 is probably something like the edge of the bottom 1/3rd

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”