Bad second semester grades at MVPN Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad second semester grades at MVPN

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi all,

My grades first semester grades put me at just around median at MVPN. I got my grades back this semester, and after doing very poorly in two classes, I have a 3.05 (overall). I don't know what went wrong. Needless to say, I am pretty bummed out.

I wanted NYC big law or boutique (probably in litigation or M&A), but now I really have no idea what I can do. I'm from a small market, and will definitely drop some applications there, but I don't want to give up NYC just yet.

How and where should I bid? Any advice on how to speak to employers if they bring up grades?
Thanks.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: Bad second semester grades at MVPN

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm not sure why you would post anonymously without telling us which school you go to. That bit of information matters.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm not sure why you would post anonymously without telling us which school you go to. That bit of information matters.
+1 - I don't understand the rash of anon recruiting related posts that give a school range. Saying what market you are looking at and the school you go to is not sufficient to identify you 99% of the time. Stop being so paranoid.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm

"Litigation or M&A" means you don't know what you want to do (not that there's anything wrong with that). Thus, typical advice applies for you. Apply widely to NYC firms with big class sizes. Mass mail like crazy. Work any connections you have. And pray.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm not sure why you would post anonymously without telling us which school you go to. That bit of information matters.
Really? Dude is obviously at N given the mis-reference to the antiquated "MVP."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 pm

IDK, he/she gave a school range that have relatively similar biglaw placement overall. With the NYC thing it could matter--maybe he/she would still have a shot from PENN I would guess--but at below median I think biglaw is unlikely from any of those schools and that other secondary options would be relatively similar (those options will remain nameless, because I am still trying to figure out wtf they are myself haha).

It's pretty easy to get outed on here, and with TLS policies (to make all these threads come up in Google results and not necessarily let you delete all your posts if a thread gets locked or something) I understand ppl wanting to be very cautious about info they provide. Yeah, your point is that its an 'anon' post, but I've seen plenty of times where mods out someone who posted 'anonymously' because they don't think it should be anon for whatever reason in the first place. More likely than that though, if he or she provided specific info under his/her regular user name about a particular school and other identifying features that could be another way somewhat sensitive employment info shared here could be linked to a public user name (which in turn can be fairly easily linked to the actual user, depending on how much they have shared in other threads).

Just sayin', I understand ppl being cautious on here for a number of reasons, although I agree that the more specific info the easier it is for others to give good (tailored) advice.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:16 pm

woeisme wrote:
Really? Dude is obviously at N given the mis-reference to the antiquated "MVP."

Haha probably true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”