Changing Last Name to Something More "Marketable" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Changing Last Name to Something More "Marketable"

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:40 pm

cinephile wrote:I don't think this is ridiculous or weird. If you haven't had an impossible to pronounce or spell last name, then you don't get it. Really, people would just look at it and stutter, or just pause and were awkward like Ms. ......?!?!

Anyway, I cut the last 7 letters off my last name to make it simpler on myself and the rest of the world. And it's been just fine. Maybe that's a compromise that would work with your name?
OP here. Sorry, but I lost track of this thread a couple weeks ago (one of the consequences of starting an anonymous thread, I guess). The problem is that my name is not one that can be easily cut and is always butchered anyway. I am toying with the idea of using my mother's maiden name, because I always liked the name, it is easy to pronounce, and out of respect to keep my mother's maiden name alive seeing as how she was an only child and I was very close to my grandfather anyway.

Thanks for defending me. I just feel that when I want to become a solo practitioner, people will stutter when they search for attorneys online and move on to someone else...I have seen people do this before and am not surprised.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Changing your name is weird. People will think you're weird when they find out. Nobody likes weirdos.
Your name is Mr. Pancakes. Pancakes are delicious, but people will think you're weird when they find out. Nobody likes weirdos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:I don't think this is ridiculous or weird. If you haven't had an impossible to pronounce or spell last name, then you don't get it. Really, people would just look at it and stutter, or just pause and were awkward like Ms. ......?!?!

Anyway, I cut the last 7 letters off my last name to make it simpler on myself and the rest of the world. And it's been just fine. Maybe that's a compromise that would work with your name?
OP here. Sorry, but I lost track of this thread a couple weeks ago (one of the consequences of starting an anonymous thread, I guess). The problem is that my name is not one that can be easily cut and is always butchered anyway. I am toying with the idea of using my mother's maiden name, because I always liked the name, it is easy to pronounce, and out of respect to keep my mother's maiden name alive seeing as how she was an only child and I was very close to my grandfather anyway.

Thanks for defending me. I just feel that when I want to become a solo practitioner, people will stutter when they search for attorneys online and move on to someone else...I have seen people do this before and am not surprised.
I think taking your mom's maiden name sounds like a great idea. You get to keep the family connection, and make life easier on yourself. When people find out I changed my name they're like, it was so pretty before. And it's like, your name is Jane Smith, so your opinion means nothing to me. The only people I really discuss these things with are other foreigners.

Good luck!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:44 am

Last edited by shoeshine on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am

shoeshine wrote:No one can pronounce my last name. But people asking me how pronounce it always leads to a question about its origin and a chance for me to tell my "diversity" story. I look like a minority on first glance but people often assume I am a certain race (which I am not) and the name conversation gives me a chance to talk about my actual heritage.
great point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I have two names that are both very unusual and obviously foreign. It led to lots of questions about my national origin and didn't seem to affect my employment prospects in the slightest. I got a job at a very traditional white shoe firm and had several similar offers. I really think it does not matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”