Should you apply if you just miss GPA cut-off? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should you apply if you just miss GPA cut-off?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 pm

I am just a shade outside of the top 20% (1-2 students likely) and quite a few firms state that top 20% is either preferred or required. Should I bother applying to these firms (especially the top 20% required ones) or am I wasting my time? And if I do apply, should I explain that my GPA has improved each semester and I'm just a fraction outside of the cut-off or should I not bring too much attention to it? I realize that many firms that say top 20% really mean top 10%, but I think I have some things going for me that may make me competitive with JD students who do satisfy the criteria (LR, MBA, Etc.).

Thanks

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Should you apply if you just miss GPA cut-off?

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Absolutely. Those cutoffs are typically not a hard cutoff. Firms dip below all the time if they like the candidate for whatever reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:57 pm

kalvano wrote:Absolutely. Those cutoffs are typically not a hard cutoff. Firms dip below all the time if they like the candidate for whatever reason.
Realistically, would it be worth it to apply to top 15% preferred? top 10% preferred? top 10% required?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Absolutely. Those cutoffs are typically not a hard cutoff. Firms dip below all the time if they like the candidate for whatever reason.
Realistically, would it be worth it to apply to top 15% preferred? top 10% preferred? top 10% required?
Really the grade cutoffs shouldn't completely stop you from applying (maybe top 10% required firms), but you should still bid smart and not load up your list with firms that tend to desire grades above your range. Having a few reaches on your list is smart, just remember they're reaches and make sure you apply to plenty of firms in your wheelhouse.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I would advise caution on relying exclusively on the grade-cut offs to determine the firms you are bidding on. Plenty of firms give "grade cut-offs" that are either way too strict and the firm really can't only hire people in that range OR some are way too lenient (and it could be a waste of a bid if you are at the lower end of that range and the firm typically only hires from a much higher % than they give).

ETA: Talk to 2Ls and 3Ls. Talk to people in your CSO. Use TLS, autoadmit, and other places to do research.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Bid smart; don't rank Cravath #1 when you're coming from median. But try to ignore the firms' claimed GPA data. Look for other selectivity factors like past hiring data, relative vault/chambers position, etc. My firm tends to hire people clustered around top 10% COA types and median people who have experience in niche markets, with few in between. If I had listened to their published stats and not applied, I would have never gotten the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”