New Firm In Town & They're Rapidly Expanding... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New Firm In Town & They're Rapidly Expanding...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 am

I just finished 1L and am slightly above median at a T20. I want to work in the T20's market; it's an insular market, but I have strong ties (born and raised here, went to college here, and went to law school here). I currently work at a mid-size firm in this market. I would love to work at this firm after graduation, but it rarely hires students directly out of law school.

My boss (a named partner) at the firm told me that a new firm just moved to town with 6 or so attorneys. He told me that they're looking to rapidly expand to 30 or so attorneys. Presumably, that means that they would hire a few new associates. They are not listed on our school's OCI list.

Should I contact the firm and see if I could apply for an SA? If so, when? Thanks!

kalvano

Diamond

Re: New Firm In Town & They're Rapidly Expanding...

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am

How could it possibly hurt to do so?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:56 am

kalvano wrote:How could it possibly hurt to do so?
OP here. I know it doesn't hurt to do so, but isn't it early to send out SA applications? If not, should I mention that I heard they're expanding and would like to join an up-and-coming firm, etc.?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 pm

I would just say "I am a rising 2L and I am currently working at Winken, Blinken, & Nod, P.C. I was told by one of the partners, Connor MacLeod, that your firm is in the process of opening an office here, and Mr. MacLeod suggested I write and inquire if you plan to employ summer associates. If so, I would be very interested in any available opportunities. Please let me know at your convenience."

And then go from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm

kalvano wrote:I would just say "I am a rising 2L and I am currently working at Winken, Blinken, & Nod, P.C. I was told by one of the partners, Connor MacLeod, that your firm is in the process of opening an office here, and Mr. MacLeod suggested I write and inquire if you plan to employ summer associates. If so, I would be very interested in any available opportunities. Please let me know at your convenience."

And then go from there.
OP here: Thanks! He actually didn't mention that I inquire; rather, he just told me about it. However, he isn't very shy about the fact that the firm isn't really looking to hire J.D.'s fresh from law school. I'll tweak that a little bit, but I appreciate the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Also, what town? Firm? PM me if you want, 3L here who may be interested.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:13 pm

A new firm that's planning to rapidly expand seems rare to me. I would hang on to that connection like grim death.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”