3.27 at UCLA - OCI? (yes I'm making one of these threads) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NeedAJobRealGood

New

3.27 at UCLA - OCI? (yes I'm making one of these threads)

Post by NeedAJobRealGood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Despite the criticism some of these threads have gotten, I would still like to know my prospects.

Info:

3.08 first semester, 3.4 second semester - 3.27 overall
UCLA median is around 3.2, so im slightly above median
Lots of clubs/orgs in and out of law school, but not law review
No impressive work experience, but not a blank resume either
Not an URM

Thoughts for OCI?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: 3.27 at UCLA - OCI? (yes I'm making one of these threads)

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Anywhere from an elite law firm to bitter unemployment.

But the key is that you'll be bitter either way.

NeedAJobRealGood

New

Post by NeedAJobRealGood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Oh bitterness is expected. Any other wisdom?

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Not a UCLA student but considering general UCLA placement, OCI is not looking good since you are pretty much a median student. Good luck though! Nail those interviews and hope for the best!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 pm

I'll be honest. I went to a similarly tiered school, and most of the law firms have a 3.3 cut-off. I had around the same GPA as you did and got only 1 callback. It'll be tough. Go in, have a good attitude, and just hope for the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be honest. I went to a similarly tiered school, and most of the law firms have a 3.3 cut-off. I had around the same GPA as you did and got only 1 callback. It'll be tough. Go in, have a good attitude, and just hope for the best.
GPAs mean different things at different schools. what matters is rank. a 3.27 at UT would put you well below median, for example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be honest. I went to a similarly tiered school, and most of the law firms have a 3.3 cut-off. I had around the same GPA as you did and got only 1 callback. It'll be tough. Go in, have a good attitude, and just hope for the best.
GPAs mean different things at different schools. what matters is rank. a 3.27 at UT would put you well below median, for example.
Well, I actually go to the same school . . .

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:
While that's true, it's unlikely that any of the T18 curve below 3.3 for 1L.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
While that's true, it's unlikely that any of the T18 curve below 3.3 for 1L.
Not sure what schools you're thinking of, but I know Vandy and UCLA are both below 3.3 at the median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:21 pm

I have a 3.7 at UCLA and am also wondering what I should do at OCI (don't mean to hijack thread, just seems better than creating a new one).

Not a URM
Non-technical undergrad degree
Do have ties to Norcal but am open to all of CA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Guess I'll chime in as a fellow UCLA rising 2L. I'm pretty much in the OP's position and would love to hear any advice anyone has. Also looking for CA.

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 pm

I am a recent 2012 UCLA grad. I also was a transfer student. That being said, I am very familiar with firm cutoffs and the overall OCI circus. I did OCI both as a 2L and a 3L. I also never shied away from talking about OCI with people and have plenty of anecdotal stories on what people have done over the past couple years. Some pointers:

use your bids on the V100 firms and the local firms with good reputations such as Loeb and Loeb. The mega firms will have multiple days of interviews with much higher GPA cutoffs. Many people will be conservative in their bidding and these firms will all have open spots after the lottery that you can self add. Even if there is no spots for the large firms, since they have so many people coming on multiple days, it is easy for them to add you in if you stop by their suite in the morning. Or better yet, e-mail the coordinator proactively and have them fit you in before OCi starts. Also spots for non Ca offices tend to fill up much slower as well. It is relatively easy to get a spot for NY, for example.

As for GPA. 3.3 is the minimum cut off for most big law jobs, but that is the bottom of the barrel and it goes up from there. I think Paul Hastings is a 3.4, Maeyer Brown and Latham are a 3.5 and firms such as Simpson Thatcher and Irell are a min of 3.7.

Also, DO NOT WAIT FOR OCI. Start applying now, even to OCI firms. Hell you might even get a callback style interview even before OCI starts. The worst that will happen is they tell you to wait for OCI, you have everything to gain.

Lastly, if you want help on a specific bidding strategy, feel free to PM me. I am willing to give an opinion based on my observations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm not sure why everyone thinks UCLA's median is a 3.2. You can't figure out the median by taking the mean of the "suggested" curve. From what I've seen, teachers give way more B+ than B, more A than A-, and they go crazy with the A+'s. One of my 1L teachers gave 30 B+'s and 8 Bs. The discretion in the curve can push the mean grade in individual classes up to and above a 3.3, and I get the feeling that's what actually happens. Plus, as far as I know, UCLA does not for any purpose release any ranks or grade cutoffs after 1L, including a median, so everyone is just guessing.

At any rate, OP you're going to have a really tough time at OCI, and I suggest you start applying right now. Be very aggressive at OCI too, I knew a couple people that got offers with your grades.

To the kid with the 3.7, you're going to have several offers. Just gather some basic knowledge about OCI, make sure you end up with at least 10 screeners, primarily from firms with large summer classes, and you'll be fine. EDIT: Reread and thought this is just a little too optimistic. You do need to take OCI very seriously, sign up for as many interviews as you can get and go on all of them, clean up and dress well, and be generally friendly and nonoffensive. I don't know any current 3Ls who had 3.7s and didn't get a few offers, but I'm sure they exist. Plus who knows, Spain might default by September and hiring might go down the shitter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Dman wrote: Also, DO NOT WAIT FOR OCI. Start applying now, even to OCI firms. Hell you might even get a callback style interview even before OCI starts. The worst that will happen is they tell you to wait for OCI, you have everything to gain.
This cannot be emphasized enough.

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote: I don't know any current 3Ls who had 3.7s and didn't get a few offers, but I'm sure they exist. Plus who knows, Spain might default by September and hiring might go down the shitter.
I know one rising 3L who had over a 3.7 who got nothing at OCI, he eventually landed something as an alternate but he got in due to some very fortunate circumstances. I also know of a few folks with 3.5+ and law review who got squat. OCI is not the be all end all, but as the above poster mentioned. Be aggressive.

Also something else I wish someone told me, pad the GPA. Take uncurved classes and clinics during 2L fall. In the event OCI does not work out, you want to look as strong as possible heading into December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 pm

What kinds of firms should median (or slightly above) at USC/UCLA bid on or mass mail? Any insight would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:59 am

anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:18 pm

TLS East coast bias strikes again!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”