2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: 2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed?

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Look for a non-profit law firm. At my job they have a lot of interns and they just recently hired some full time. Yeah its shitty but you have a chance to do class action against apartments and shit like that. Might make a name for yourself?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 1:01 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am mostly concerned with the low GPA since there really isn't any other law schools in my area.
I don't get how these are related. How would the absence of another law school in the area make your situation any worse than it would be if there was another school in your area?
supply and demand. More competition. More people applying for the same spot.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am mostly concerned with the low GPA since there really isn't any other law schools in my area.
I don't get how these are related. How would the absence of another law school in the area make your situation any worse than it would be if there was another school in your area?
That explanation doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't the absence of another law school in the area mean less competition?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 pm

This is good news.

After law school, I can call myself Dr. Mayo and open my own law firm called "The Mayo Clinic LLC"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Isn't a 2.15 around top 15% with the typical t4 grade curve? :lol:

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Reprisal wrote:
mrman17 wrote:The problem is that law is not an industry that heavily encourages self-promotion
lmao

Hahaha. Especially bad considering he posted this on TLS.
Alright 0L's, someday when you take Professional Responsibility you might know what I'm talking about. For now, you don't know jack shit.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 pm

top30man wrote:A 3L with a 2.X gpa at a TTTT that is just now starting the job search? This is hard to believe.
but is it really

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:
top30man wrote:A 3L with a 2.X gpa at a TTTT that is just now starting the job search? This is hard to believe.
but is it really
No, not really.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Thu May 24, 2012 7:06 pm

kapachino wrote:Two of my favorite profs at my undergrad were JDs who went by "Dr." when they taught. One was an HLS grad who decided to teach poli sci, and the other was general counsel for the university.
I will bet good money that they had PhD's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 25, 2012 12:52 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
That explanation doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't the absence of another law school in the area mean less competition?
fine, you know what I mean (less competition from less students in area)

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Well this explains why OP has a 2.15 from a T4...

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mrman17 wrote:There are government entities and many businesses that would love to hire someone who could grind it out to earn a doctorate degree in law school.
Not all doctorate degrees are created equally

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm

MrAnon wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
mrman17 wrote:There are government entities and many businesses that would love to hire someone who could grind it out to earn a doctorate degree in law school.
Not all doctorate degrees are created equally
Be that as it may, a law degree is a doctorate and not very many people hold doctorate degrees. It is a professional doctorate comporable to a M.D. or D.D.S. Having a law degree still puts you in the top 1% of the world's most educated people and will set you apart from other job applicants.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Fri May 25, 2012 6:22 pm

^ your way of thinking makes me feel ashamed of being a JD holder. the same feeling that occurred to me when some guy updated his facebook status the day he graduated, "xxxx high school; xxxxx university; xxxxx law school"

the same guy then failed the bar (reputed to be one of the easiest in the country) twice.
Last edited by cantaboot on Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Fri May 25, 2012 6:32 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Well this explains why OP has a 2.15 from a T4...
OP's rationale reminds me of the only T4 grad - and one of the most annoying people - I've ever dealt with in my life.
Last edited by cantaboot on Fri May 25, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:34 pm

cantaboot wrote:^ your way of thinking makes me feel ashamed of being a JD holder. the same feeling that occurred to me when some guy updated his facebook profile the day he graduated, "xxxx high school; xxxxx university; xxxxx law school"

the same guy then failed the bar (reputed to be one of the easiest in the country) twice.
I also have a JD. A JD is not the end all and be all of degrees, but it is still a marketable asset and a respected accomplishment (even if there are no jobs in the legal industry). If we don't take our degrees seriously, then potential employers shouldn't either.

Forgetting the complete time waste that Facebook is, what is wrong with updating your education with validly received degrees? Is it also wrong to update LinkedIn? Or your resume? Also, the bar is totally external to the JD degree itself.

You can go ahead and be a downer if you want. . .it's your life. Anyway, why do you even give a shit whether others proudly acknowledge their degree?

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Fri May 25, 2012 7:43 pm

I am not saying one shouldn't be proud of one's accomplishments, regardless of what they are. I knitted a scarf for my SO, and I am damn proud of it, as insignificant as it might seem to many people.

taking pride in something is not equivalent to bragging about it. taking one's accomplishments seriously is not the same as having an inflated sense of self-worth or an unrealistic expectation of how other people will regard your accomplishments.

PS what I found douchey is not adding one's JD to the profile page, or updating linkedin or other professional profiles. It's updating the FB status. It's shouting to people who may or may not have it. how douchey?! do we need to brag about which high school we went to by the time we have finished our JD? what about kindergarten?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 pm

cantaboot wrote:I am not saying one shouldn't be proud of one's accomplishments, regardless of what they are. I knitted a scarf for my SO, and I am damn proud of it, as insignificant as it might seem to many people.

taking pride in something is not equivalent to bragging about it. taking one's accomplishments seriously is not the same as having an inflated sense of self-worth or an unrealistic expectation of how other people will regard your accomplishments.

PS what I found douchey is not adding one's JD to the profile page, or updating linkedin or other professional profiles. It's updating the FB status. It's shouting to people who may or may not have it. how douchey?! do we need to brag about which high school we went to by the time we have finished our JD? what about kindergarten?

I knew of someone that changed their middle name on Facebook to "future lawyer" once.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Updateing Facebook to say you graduated from gradschool is not worth mentioning on an update? Compared to that, pretty much everything is trivial. Seeing how the average update is if they got the job at BK or if the fat chick gave them VD or if they the babydaddy, yeah there you go.....

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm

the guy i was talking about - he updated his FB status regularly: always high school, college, law school.

It is not like "I just graduated today ... so happy."

He's on linkedin for a while - linkedin suggested him to me as someone I might know.
He stated 'attorney' and put a fictitious law firm next to it, calling it "his last name & his family friend's last name" - and his friend is not a lawyer.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:02 pm

JusticeJackson wrote: If T4 = top 4 law school, apply to smaller markets. Especially ones you have ties to. If you grew up in Omaha, I'm sure every Omaha firm would be stoked to have a Columbia grad, even if they have terrible grades.
LOL no. At any T14, a 2.15 would be an epic low GPA - so low, in fact, that they probably wouldn't let you graduate, and you would have the lowest ever GPA if you did graduate.

And secondary and tertiary market firms are generally pickier on grades than generic lower V50/V100 firms in New York.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote: If T4 = top 4 law school, apply to smaller markets. Especially ones you have ties to. If you grew up in Omaha, I'm sure every Omaha firm would be stoked to have a Columbia grad, even if they have terrible grades.
LOL no. At any T14, a 2.15 would be an epic low GPA - so low, in fact, that they probably wouldn't let you graduate, and you would have the lowest ever GPA if you did graduate.

And secondary and tertiary market firms are generally pickier on grades than generic lower V50/V100 firms in New York.
2.0 to graduate. All it takes. Not all schools artificially raised grades retroactively a few terms back just for fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”