I want to wear a suit to work. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I want to wear a suit to work.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

So a quick summary of my "problem": I personally like wearing a suit jacket over my shirt + tie. Feel like it looks better and it keeps me warm in the office. Unfortunately, nobody but the boss wears a suit in that office. And lately (I'm only on my 2nd day of work) I get comments like "you can just come to work without a jacket" and "take off the jacket!" Etc...

Will I risk looking like a major douchebag if I keep wearing the suit jacket anyways? Would it be ok if I wore it to work, but took it off while I'm in the office (as a compromise)?

lawfuture10

Bronze

Re: I want to wear a suit to work.

Post by lawfuture10 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Are you a summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 pm

I agree that the tie without jacket look is very unfortunate. But especially if you're getting direct negative comments on your attire, I would put economic concerns before sartorial concerns.

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Bronte wrote:I agree that the tie without jacket look is very unfortunate. But especially if you're getting direct negative comments on your attire, I would put economic concerns before sartorial concerns.
I agree with every word of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So a quick summary of my "problem": I personally like wearing a suit jacket over my shirt + tie. Feel like it looks better and it keeps me warm in the office. Unfortunately, nobody but the boss wears a suit in that office. And lately (I'm only on my 2nd day of work) I get comments like "you can just come to work without a jacket" and "take off the jacket!" Etc...

Will I risk looking like a major douchebag if I keep wearing the suit jacket anyways? Would it be ok if I wore it to work, but took it off while I'm in the office (as a compromise)?

If the people who might be offering you a job are telling you to do something, why would you do anything but exactly what they say?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue May 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So a quick summary of my "problem": I personally like wearing a suit jacket over my shirt + tie. Feel like it looks better and it keeps me warm in the office. Unfortunately, nobody but the boss wears a suit in that office. And lately (I'm only on my 2nd day of work) I get comments like "you can just come to work without a jacket" and "take off the jacket!" Etc...

If the people who might be offering you a job are telling you to do something, why would you do anything but exactly what they say?
Eh i think its fine if he wears the suit jacket to work and then just leaves the jacket part in his office. Then he just looks biz casual and also he has a suit ready if there are ever client meetings, etc.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Lol.. kind of have had the same thing both summers... I feel uncomfortable dressing down in fairly formal settings, but I've had a bunch of ppl say repeatedly "you can dress more casually than that etc.." I think it is usually better to overdress than underdress, but I try not to stand out too much at the same time..

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed May 23, 2012 12:58 am

Stop wearing the jacket. Yes you will likely run a serious risk of being pegged as a douchebag if you keep wearing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:09 am

What do you want more, personal comfort or a job? You can't have both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 am

OP Here: Yeah, decided yesterday it's for the best to stop wearing it. Tearing up as I lock it up in the closet for all eternity. lol.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 am

I have to wear a suit to work everyday. I really want to wear shorts and flip-flops, but people would probably start telling me to put the suit back on. The problem is: I'm really comfortable in my flip-flops! What should I do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 2:07 pm

OP. I agree with your decision and everyone else's advice. Ive had to do the same in previous positions and will for my current summer position as well. While it kind of aggravates me, having money matters far more. What I can't figure out though, is that every time I get a comment similar to the ones you receive, it's almost like people think you're actively trying to out do them or make them look bad. But Ive always thought suits were EASIER than business casual or almost any other attire only because all I need to do is choose my shirt and tie which is a lot easier than putting together an outfit and making sure everything matches.

Can anyone explain the general idea I guess you could say behind seeing someone in an office in a suit and equating that with Douchery? I know it's true and happens in real life, and of course I conform in most instances where my economic welfare is at stake, but I still am genuinely curious as to why so many professional organizations (law firms, i banks, etc.) seem to be straying away from the quintessential mark of professionalism (and save me damn time choosing things to wear to look casual, but not too casual).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:44 pm

You have to build up your gravitas a little before you can buck conformity and become "suit guy" in a non-suit guy office. It can be done, just not immediately.

We had a summer who wore suspenders and his pants sort of rode high as a result. This is in an office where I can get away with khakies and a polo any day of the week. People remembered he never dress biz-casual - don't let that be what people remember most about you.

Of course, you know this all already and have made the right decision.

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP. I agree with your decision and everyone else's advice. Ive had to do the same in previous positions and will for my current summer position as well. While it kind of aggravates me, having money matters far more. What I can't figure out though, is that every time I get a comment similar to the ones you receive, it's almost like people think you're actively trying to out do them or make them look bad. But Ive always thought suits were EASIER than business casual or almost any other attire only because all I need to do is choose my shirt and tie which is a lot easier than putting together an outfit and making sure everything matches.

Can anyone explain the general idea I guess you could say behind seeing someone in an office in a suit and equating that with Douchery? I know it's true and happens in real life, and of course I conform in most instances where my economic welfare is at stake, but I still am genuinely curious as to why so many professional organizations (law firms, i banks, etc.) seem to be straying away from the quintessential mark of professionalism (and save me damn time choosing things to wear to look casual, but not too casual).
Professionalism is being able to adjust your attire appropriately according to your office environment. For guys this should be pretty easy, and thus if you screw it up it makes you look pretty incompetent. Women have a little bit more freedom, in part because our outfits are way more complicated and varied.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed May 23, 2012 7:12 pm

mattviphky wrote:I have to wear a suit to work everyday. I really want to wear shorts and flip-flops, but people would probably start telling me to put the suit back on. The problem is: I'm really comfortable in my flip-flops! What should I do?
i know this was knocking OP but damn I wish they'd just let us wear flops!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Do you have to wear a tie? I know at my office no one wears them. If you can, ditch the tie too. Short with no tie looks better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 pm

FlanAl wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I have to wear a suit to work everyday. I really want to wear shorts and flip-flops, but people would probably start telling me to put the suit back on. The problem is: I'm really comfortable in my flip-flops! What should I do?
especially on days like today, Al. ohhohhoho

GoldenGloves

Bronze

Post by GoldenGloves » Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 pm

What kind of suit jacket is it? Sounds like you're going too formal with it. Get an unstructured blazer, bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 pm

OP Here: It's kind of a nice suit. I've just been wearing dress pants and a shirt with a tie right now, pretty much like everyone else in the office. It's not so bad. Miss the jacket but I'll live =). I guess I was just excited to finally work somewhere (or so I thought) where I can actually wear my two suits- past 2 years the only time I've worn them was at interviews. And moot court. lol.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Agent wrote:Stop wearing the jacket. Yes you will likely run a serious risk of being pegged as a douchebag if you keep wearing it.
That's what I did. I love wearing a full suit but not a single person on my office outside the managing partner does.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm

FlanAl wrote:
1. Get hired at Quinn Emmanuel
2. Wear flip-flops
3. ???
4. Profit

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Wear the flip flops. Duh. Just make sure you show up shirtless when you do; otherwise, you risk looking overdressed at work.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sat May 26, 2012 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP. I agree with your decision and everyone else's advice. Ive had to do the same in previous positions and will for my current summer position as well. While it kind of aggravates me, having money matters far more. What I can't figure out though, is that every time I get a comment similar to the ones you receive, it's almost like people think you're actively trying to out do them or make them look bad. But Ive always thought suits were EASIER than business casual or almost any other attire only because all I need to do is choose my shirt and tie which is a lot easier than putting together an outfit and making sure everything matches.
Can someone please explain this one to me?

Isn't a suit exactly the same as business casual, but with two additional elements??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”