ccba minority fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ccba minority fair

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it all pre-selects or a mix of pre-selects and lottery? I can't figure that out.
Pretty sure it's all pre-selects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why everyone so anonymous (as I go anon, hah!). Got an interview with Bartlit Beck. Wondering if I should even waste a plane ticket to go out there. Will I even have a chance? It seems so selective. (I honestly don't even know how I got this interview).
Are you a 3L? They weren't even on the bid list for 2Ls... unless I missed something?

What're people seeing in terms of interviews numbers? I got 4. Big firms, including my number 1. But honestly was expecting more.
Yeah, I'm a 3L.
A snowball's chance in hell at Bartlit is a lot more than most people get. I'd go. They tend to hire mostly post clerkship but historical trends are always subject to change. Good luck if you decide to go!
Yea I got Barlitt also, no freaking clue as to why, my grades are pretty average at a T10. Pissed I didn't get the SEC, my background for it is pretty legit and I interned there for a semester on the east coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am

I got 8 but most of them were outside of Chicago, non-Vault places, despite having no ties to any of them. Didn't get any of Skadden, Sidley, Jenner, Kirkland or Baker. Does anybody know if there is a way to add interviews if people drop them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got 5, mix of chicago (not enough ties) and those interviewing at multiple offices (where I'll target NY/DC in that order).

Not terrible, but I am wondering if it's worth re-arranging my school's OCI bidlist if I have repeats?
Out of curiosity, why do you think ties had anything to do with it?

IIRC, the only thing we submitted here was our resume, right? There were no cover letters involved? How would anyone express ties to a region on a resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got 5, mix of chicago (not enough ties) and those interviewing at multiple offices (where I'll target NY/DC in that order).

Not terrible, but I am wondering if it's worth re-arranging my school's OCI bidlist if I have repeats?

IIRC, the only thing we submitted here was our resume, right? There were no cover letters involved? How would anyone express ties to a region on a resume?
Oh, I just meant I got the Chicago interviews but they'll be a wash because I don't have ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You probably can demonstrate ties through your undergrad, law school, and previous work experience.

Can those who got interview with Chicago firm share how strong/moderate their ties are to the city? I got shut out by chicago firms a couple times already and would love to change my OCI strategies if possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You probably can demonstrate ties through your undergrad, law school, and previous work experience.

Can those who got interview with Chicago firm share how strong/moderate their ties are to the city? I got shut out by chicago firms a couple times already and would love to change my OCI strategies if possible.
Very strong ties (live in Chicago now, went to high school in suburbs, undergrad at UIllinois.) Though I got a few outside of Chicago where I have absolutely no ties whatsoever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Going to school in Chicago seems sufficient. I got 5 Chicago preselects but I have zero ties to Chicago other than the law school name. That seems to be sufficient for many of the bigger firms and even a small local boutique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

8 interviews. Kirkland, Mayer, Jenner, etc. Undergrad and Law school both located in Illinois.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 8 interviews. Kirkland, Mayer, Jenner, etc. Undergrad and Law school both located in Illinois.
Are you not going to bid on these firms at OCI then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: 8 interviews. Kirkland, Mayer, Jenner, etc. Undergrad and Law school both located in Illinois.
Turned down all of the interviews and won't be doing OCI because I accepted an offer somewhere else earlier this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Turned down all of the interviews and won't be doing OCI because I accepted an offer somewhere else earlier this summer.
Congrats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding is that bidding on the firms in OCI is a waste. They won't interview you twice

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm

How do you know if you were pre-selected or not? I saw on the employers link that they have 8 pre-selected and 8 done on bidding. What does that mean? Is it that there is a chance the firm did not even want you but you received an interview because of some random process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:33 pm

You got 16 interviews?

Edit: I dont see anything like what you're talking about. Fairly certain its 100% preselect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You got 16 interviews?

Edit: I dont see anything like what you're talking about. Fairly certain its 100% preselect.
No, I remember seeing that when we were initially bidding. Not sure how it actually ended up working out though.
Of my bids, I ended up getting 1,8,11,18, and 21 so I don't see a pattern there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Is there a way to pick up interviews that others have dropped? I don't think they selected any alternate candidates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a way to pick up interviews that others have dropped? I don't think they selected any alternate candidates.
Definitely agree to this. I hope after the 23rd, they will post alternatives.

Question to all: did you put your GPA on your resume? For a couple fairs, I did. But for this one I didn't since grades had not came out then. I wonder how much that affected me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You got 16 interviews?

--LinkRemoved--

Read the second paragraph- says employers can pre-select 8 of 16, the rest will be filled by the bidding process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I have 4 interviews (Barack Ferrazzano, Bryan Cave, Kirkland, Skadden). My question is: should I even go to this fair? I have NO ties to Chicago besides having been to the city several times and would like to live there, so I'm wondering what kind of chance I really have in terms of getting a CB/offer. My other concern is that I applied to Skadden's NY office and Bryan Cave's Atlanta office. Does anyone know if these firms do their recruiting separately for difference offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 4 interviews (Barack Ferrazzano, Bryan Cave, Kirkland, Skadden). My question is: should I even go to this fair? I have NO ties to Chicago besides having been to the city several times and would like to live there, so I'm wondering what kind of chance I really have in terms of getting a CB/offer. My other concern is that I applied to Skadden's NY office and Bryan Cave's Atlanta office. Does anyone know if these firms do their recruiting separately for difference offices?
Well, what are your stats?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 4 interviews (Barack Ferrazzano, Bryan Cave, Kirkland, Skadden). My question is: should I even go to this fair? I have NO ties to Chicago besides having been to the city several times and would like to live there, so I'm wondering what kind of chance I really have in terms of getting a CB/offer. My other concern is that I applied to Skadden's NY office and Bryan Cave's Atlanta office. Does anyone know if these firms do their recruiting separately for difference offices?
If you think you can offer a good narrative of why you want Chicago (having lived here, I know how much people in Chicago love to say how great Chicago is and how much better than New York) it may be enough to overcome the ties issue. That said, this isn't at OCI where the cost is low (ie no airfare or hotel.) Also, this a diversity fair so, unless you're a white male, the fact you're a diversity candidate with a good Chicago story may be enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Well, what are your stats?
Top 20% MVP+good (or maybe just okay) WE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you think you can offer a good narrative of why you want Chicago (having lived here, I know how much people in Chicago love to say how great Chicago is and how much better than New York) it may be enough to overcome the ties issue. That said, this isn't at OCI where the cost is low (ie no airfare or hotel.) Also, this a diversity fair so, unless you're a white male, the fact you're a diversity candidate with a good Chicago story may be enough.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Bartlit's entry says they are recruiting for Denver, but they also have a Chicago office. Are they recruiting for both or just Denver?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”