New York bar and employment-related question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New York bar and employment-related question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 13, 2012 8:31 pm

This question is for those of you who have taken the NY bar and passed it:

I worked for several legal employers and have obtained law-employment affidavits from them. Besides stating that my job performance was "satisfactory" most of them wrote a line or two on the last page/comment section. Even a judge who did not know me well said nice things about me - It was probably done by his secretary/clerk but I couldn't care less.

However, a professor for whom I served as an RA and who acted fairly supportive of me returned the affidavit to me and I found out that he did not write anything at all on the last page.

This has made me worried. Is it true that someone who was not bothered to write a word or two couldn't be trusted as a good reference in the future? alternatively, could it be that he saw no need to do anything because it was a 'form affidavit'?

It isn't that legal hiring depends much on this kind of references. I will probably list my current/former employer/law firm partners as my future references. I was just surprised and keep wondering.

Return to “Legal Employment”