still have no biglaw start date. is this normal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

still have no biglaw start date. is this normal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 6:27 pm

have most of you heard by now? is my firm in trouble? firm has been MIA since paying for barbri.

Anonymous User

Re: still have no biglaw start date. is this normal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

You are not alone. My firm has not either, but they were late last year too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You are not alone. My firm has not either, but they were late last year too.
OP here - when are you expecting to start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm

2nd Anon poster - by mid June? That's my hope, at least.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2nd Anon poster - by mid June? That's my hope, at least.
I think OP is talking about permanent start dates, breh.

OP, just call and ask. JFC this is like the 836362839227 incarnation of the same cot damn question. Why is it that law students are so socially inept that picking up a telephone and asking a question has become a means of last resort?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

OP, just call and ask. JFC this is like the 836362839227 incarnation of the same cot damn question. Why is it that law students are so socially inept that picking up a telephone and asking a question has become a means of last resort?
Well for starters, I don't really want to bother them or rush them. Anyways, that wasn't the point of this post - I'm curious when most firms give out start dates and if my firms relative tardiness on the issue means anything. I was under the impression that firms sent out start dates in march/april. Am I wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 pm

My firm also hasn't given out start dates but they were slow last year as well. My other friends found out Feb-April. Not freaking yet because they periodically email us. I'll start to (really) worry in mid-June.

OP has your firm told you anything about a salary advance/bar stipend? The amount might correlate with a start date (the smaller the amount, the more likely you'll be starting early Fall).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm also hasn't given out start dates but they were slow last year as well. My other friends found out Feb-April. Not freaking yet because they periodically email us. I'll start to (really) worry in mid-June.

OP has your firm told you anything about a salary advance/bar stipend? The amount might correlate with a start date (the smaller the amount, the more likely you'll be starting early Fall).
We got a generous stipend (not advance) and they paid for barbri back in april. have heard nothing since then. not really worried, just kind of unsettled because its impossible to plan anything without knowing when I'm going to start work.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

Well for starters, I don't really want to bother them or rush them. Anyways, that wasn't the point of this post - I'm curious when most firms give out start dates and if my firms relative tardiness on the issue means anything. I was under the impression that firms sent out start dates in march/april. Am I wrong?
Understandable. But honestly dood, if you've got a permanent offer to start, you're entitled to that information, and you shouldn't be hesitant to ask for it. If you're worried about the firm, can you contact any associates you were tight with and ask about it? In all likelihood, they'll give 0 fucks that you asked. Definitely worth the marginal utility of being able to sleep at night, depending upon how much you're bugging about the situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 am

I haven't heard either. They paid for my bar course last March, haven't heard anything otherwise though. Kind of annoying since I can't plan my fall until I know when I'm starting. I called a couple weeks ago and they told me I'd hear "soon," so I don't want to keep bothering them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Bump.

OP here. Talked to the recruiters and they still apparently know nothing. Its getting infuriating...without start dates its impossible to plan when I'm moving to the new city, getting an apartment, going on trips, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump.

OP here. Talked to the recruiters and they still apparently know nothing. Its getting infuriating...without start dates its impossible to plan when I'm moving to the new city, getting an apartment, going on trips, etc.
I feel your frustration but try to be resourceful. If you know someone who is a first or second year (and they are helpful/nice) email them and ask them when they started and when they got their start date. Did you have mentors last summer? I would try a mentor first, since they will probably be young, and see if they can ask a first year. Just be really nice and politely explain youre not trying to hassle, you just need to know when you should end your current lease, or something similar. I was lucky in that a recent grad from my law school is working at my firm's same office and they were open to answering my questions about both. You should have asked the recruiters when you called/emailed when the first years started and when they found out; your start date will probably be in the same month...but its too late now and I wouldn't call them back, at least not until June.

It's frustrating but think logically: the earliest you could be starting is after Labor Day (because why would you start and do a few days of orientation before a holiday? do any firms start in august?). That leaves the end of July/beginning August to plan a trip. Unless you had planned to schlep around an entire continent over the course of three months, you can at least start planning your trip and leave the apartment logistics until later in the summer. It doesn't take that long to apartment hunt and sign a lease, and most places wont even know their apartment inventory for the fall more than a month or two out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2012 12:44 am

I similarly haven't yet received my start date. I received a living expense/Barbri stipend, so I'm not worried about losing out on the offer, but it is very unsettling nonetheless. I contacted someone a few weeks back and was told they wouldn't have the date settled until summer, but that it would most likely be September or October. Bottom line: You're not alone, but I don't think it's cause for concern.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2012 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I similarly haven't yet received my start date. I received a living expense/Barbri stipend, so I'm not worried about losing out on the offer, but it is very unsettling nonetheless. I contacted someone a few weeks back and was told they wouldn't have the date settled until summer, but that it would most likely be September or October. Bottom line: You're not alone, but I don't think it's cause for concern.
Nearly same situation, haven't called though. Might eventually.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 am

I know several people whose start dates came down the pipeline this week - relax!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Still nothing for me. Anyone else in the dark?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Still nothing for me. Anyone else in the dark?
Yup...nothing for me either.

I wonder if we're at the same firm...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Nothing here either...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 am

For those of you still waiting...what's your firms vault range and city? Mine is non-NYC v30.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you still waiting...what's your firms vault range and city? Mine is non-NYC v30.
I bet we're at the same firm. Was your end of summer gift a messenger bag?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 2:56 am

For the person w the messenger bag end of summer gift - I was at that firm too. They did not have their start dates last year at this time and they had start dates with fall options so I am hoping history repeats itself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the person w the messenger bag end of summer gift - I was at that firm too. They did not have their start dates last year at this time and they had start dates with fall options so I am hoping history repeats itself.
Do you know when they had their start date?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun May 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I heard Ropes still hasn't given start dates. Not sure if this is the firm anons are referring to above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the person w the messenger bag end of summer gift - I was at that firm too. They did not have their start dates last year at this time and they had start dates with fall options so I am hoping history repeats itself.
same firm. I'm hoping the amount of our advance weighs toward a fall start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Response to when they got their start dates - some time in June I think....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”