sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newyorker88

Silver

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Post by newyorker88 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:09 pm

If it was a grade sheet where you just input the grades yourself then just send them the correct one. It'll look like you just filled out the sheet incorrectly. However, if you doctored an official transcript you need to withdraw immediately. There is no plausible explanation for photoshopping or taking white out to a document.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a biglaw firm the wrong transcript. My overbearing parents had also asked to see my grades and I had changed two grades (nothing major) on my unofficial transcript and then scanned it and saved it to my computer and sent it to them so that they wouldn't freak out about a B-. I then accidentally used THAT file and sent it to the firm when they asked for a transcript. I haven't accepted yet. Is there anything I can tell them at this point to salvage the situation? Should I even explain or will that make it look worse? Is my only option to have to decline the offer? Obviously they will find out about the wrong transcript as soon as I accept and they get my official transcript from the school.
This is going to end well...

The only thing I can imagine you doing now is to withdraw then go to career services and make a mea culpa with an explanation to protect from C&F problems. Possibly go to career services first to see if they think you don't need to withdraw or can just correct. They'll likely suggest you withdraw.

Everyone trying to say he did an excel or his own spreadsheet need to reread the OP. It says he altered an unofficial transcript then had to scan it back in to send. Yeah, that's fraud. Saying it was nothing major is stupid and shows a lack of taking responsibility.

lsapplicant07

New

Post by lsapplicant07 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a biglaw firm the wrong transcript. My overbearing parents had also asked to see my grades and I had changed two grades (nothing major) on my unofficial transcript and then scanned it and saved it to my computer and sent it to them so that they wouldn't freak out about a B-. I then accidentally used THAT file and sent it to the firm when they asked for a transcript. I haven't accepted yet. Is there anything I can tell them at this point to salvage the situation? Should I even explain or will that make it look worse? Is my only option to have to decline the offer? Obviously they will find out about the wrong transcript as soon as I accept and they get my official transcript from the school.

The only thing I can imagine you doing now is to withdraw then go to career services and make a mea culpa with an explanation to protect from C&F problems. Possibly go to career services first to see if they think you don't need to withdraw or can just correct. They'll likely suggest you withdraw.

Everyone trying to say he did an excel or his own spreadsheet need to reread the OP. It says he altered an unofficial transcript then had to scan it back in to send. Yeah, that's fraud. Saying it was nothing major is stupid and shows a lack of taking responsibility.
This. Also, what are the chances OP also authored the anon thread asking whether firms keep resumes on file after OCI?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Unitas wrote:

Yeah, the scan thing definitely sounds bad. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt until he came back and clarified. At my school our unofficial transcript is just a form we print out and then fill in ourselves. If it was something like that, then maybe he could say he just made a mistake. But if not, I agree with you - he should withdraw and hope there are no more serious consequences

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:16 pm

is there a way to turn it around?

basically, if he lists the correct gpa on his resume there would have been very little incentive for him to lie

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm

You can always try and break into the registrar's office and steal official transcript paper, like this guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Just withdraw. Not quite sure why people are suggesting there will still be C&F problems even after you do that, unless the bar contacts every firm you ever applied to and requests the materials you sent to them.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just withdraw. Not quite sure why people are suggesting there will still be C&F problems even after you do that, unless the bar contacts every firm you ever applied to and requests the materials you sent to them.
Or a recruiter with a stick up their ass notices the discrepancy and reports it. People that review resumes and transcripts all the time expect perfection and might get really irritated about something like this. Unlikely, but possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All they did was ask. Maybe they are paying. Curious. Supportive. I don't know. Clearly they didn't do a great job if the response is to forge a document. My parents ask me about my grades among other things.
My parents ask like normal parents 'how'd you do?' and I say fine. They don't say, hey grades are out when we can be expecting a transcript from you. Even if they were paying for it, that's unacceptable.
Normal parents ask how their children how they do in school. If they have great relationship they even ask what grade their son/daughter get ?
It seems your parents do not care at about your school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

No more frivolous use of the anon feature. Especially not to berate/scold/attack/whatever another poster or that poster's parents.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All they did was ask. Maybe they are paying. Curious. Supportive. I don't know. Clearly they didn't do a great job if the response is to forge a document. My parents ask me about my grades among other things.
My parents ask like normal parents 'how'd you do?' and I say fine. They don't say, hey grades are out when we can be expecting a transcript from you. Even if they were paying for it, that's unacceptable.
Normal parents ask how their children how they do in school. If they have great relationship they even ask what grade their son/daughter get ?

I think you're misunderstanding what he said. His parents ask how he's doing. They don't ask for a transcript. You're saying that his parents obviously "do not care at about your school [sic]" because they don't ask for an official transcript?

I know my parents care about how I'm doing because they ask. But they've never once asked me for a copy of my transcript.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do your parents request transcripts from you that you have to doctor if you get a B-? Mine don't. If that means they don't care about my school then that's cool with me.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm

DO NOT tell career services, or anyone else at your school, or anyone else in the world.

Withdraw from consideration at this firm no matter what other options you have or don't have. This is the worst situation I have ever read about on this site and all you can do is get the hell out of it. Nobody can ever know this happened or you're fucked. Good luck (assuming this was in fact an innocent mistake).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow that really sucks...
Well, you will never forge a document again from now on

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 pm

If I were the one receiving documents from OP, I don't think I could be convinced that he hadn't tried to mislead me. The explanation he provided in the original post sounds unprofessional and makes things even worse. I agree that it is in OP's best interest to withdraw as quietly as possible.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

This explanation doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe you. It sounds like you doctored your transcript, fraudulently obtained a job, and then realized that they are going to see your official transcript at some point and made up a half-assed excuse.

Maybe you're telling the truth, maybe not. The point is, if I don't believe you, and I'm just some guy on the internet, why would your firm believe you, when they are looking at investing much more in you in part on the basis of your character?

I think you need to withdraw and hope nobody asks questions.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

If his parents care about OP's transcript, they're going to care about what happened to his big fancy biglaw job offer. Sucks to be the OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This explanation doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe you. It sounds like you doctored your transcript, fraudulently obtained a job, and then realized that they are going to see your official transcript at some point and made up a half-assed excuse.

Maybe you're telling the truth, maybe not. The point is, if I don't believe you, and I'm just some guy on the internet, why would your firm believe you, when they are looking at investing much more in you in part on the basis of your character?

I think you need to withdraw and hope nobody asks questions.
Even if true, the story isn't convincing. OP if you do talk to the firm, don't tell them this story. I don't know what to tell them except that the transcript was wrong. I don't know what to advise you OP. You can't take a job based on them thinking your grades are different from what they actually were.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I think it's telling that 40 minutes after I posted this:
Desert Fox wrote:Was the GPA on your resume correct? Because if it was you could plausibly deny that this was intentional (who would fake a transcript with a GPA higher than what you put on your resume).

Is this for 1L or 2L summer? If 1L, then just decline and hope nobody ever notices. 20 grand ain't worth getting C&F pwnd.

This popped up: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=184441

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Asian?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think it's telling that 40 minutes after I posted this:
Desert Fox wrote:Was the GPA on your resume correct? Because if it was you could plausibly deny that this was intentional (who would fake a transcript with a GPA higher than what you put on your resume).

Is this for 1L or 2L summer? If 1L, then just decline and hope nobody ever notices. 20 grand ain't worth getting C&F pwnd.

This popped up: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=184441
Yeah it's pretty suspicious that OP never came back to clarify anything. I don't think we got the whole story

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 pm

s/he's watching her/his dreams crash and burn.

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

How do you "accidently" make this kind of mistake? I'm not buying it. And even if it is true, I'm kind of glad you made such an idiotic blunder. Serves you right for lying to your parents. At this age you need to sack up and be honest with them.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

PARTY wrote:s/he's watching her/his dreams crash and burn.
No sympathy here.

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I wonder if this will turn into another "." thread

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”