2L Summer - Fed District Judge or Magistrate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer - Fed District Judge or Magistrate?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Re: 2L Summer - Fed District Judge or Magistrate?

Post by Total Litigator » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

District and Magistrate judges are both good to intern for. As long as the judges have the same mentalities towards interns, the workload and work type will be essentially the same (the district judge doesn't give the big cases to interns). However, the district judge internship will attract more and better attention from employers, and all else being equal, will help you stand out when it comes time to get that first job. Personally, because we are really only talking about a "hassle" here, in the long term I'd thank myself for taking the position that ultimately was better for my career.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Its Article III judge vs. non-Article III judge. Go with the Article III judge, damn the hassle. Magistrate judges are excellent internships, don't get me wrong, but I'd say don't take one with a Magistrate unless you strike out with a district court.

USAIRS

Bronze

Post by USAIRS » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

This really isn't as simple as Art. III vs. non Art. III. Internships generally are not that big of a deal to employers, at least as "resume boosters," so you should not really focus on the title alone. You really want to take a couple things from an internship: (a) A Good writing sample (if not that, then some kind of tangible experience that you can tout), (b) a good reference, and (c) a proven interest in an area of law. Since they both satisfy (c), then you should only think about the experience you can take with you and the value of the judge as a reference. For (a), the amount of substantive work you get to do will vary from judge to judge, but in IP litigation you may get great experience at the magistrate level, because discovery issues in IP cases are really at the forefront of emerging issues these days. For (b), you should take into account whether the judge is well-connected or well-known in the geographical area you want to work. A lot of your value to a future private or government employer will be your insights into that judge, and being able to rely that judge's recommendation because your future employer knows the judge and worked with him or her in the past.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Total Litigator wrote:the district judge internship will attract more and better attention from employers, and all else being equal, will help you stand out when it comes time to get that first job.
+1. Especially if one of the reasons you want to work for the district court judge is that he has a major and well-known IP lit docket.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Also, I wasn't able to discern whether either have a policy of not-hiring former interns as clerks. I have no idea if I could even in the running for a clerkship, but it was something a few professors said I should consider. Any advice on how to get this information w/o seeming like a summer gunner?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 04, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

35USC

New

Post by 35USC » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 pm

OP, I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about --- PM me and I can answer your questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”