SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
augusta1985

New

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Post by augusta1985 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Check out http://www.bonobos.com

Lots of good ideas for both formal and business casual wear.

Also, for those of you with a little more $ to burn and don't have a clue as to how to dress, consider joining the Trunk Club. You basically talk with one of their stylists, and they send you a huge FedEX box with tons of new clothes. You are charged for what you end up keeping...

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

now you can get an additional 25% off at bb with code FNFBB3 works on clearance as well

ex. 1818 suit clearance 499-25%=375

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
alirod12 wrote:And, for the record, "Jos. A. Banks" is never the credited response.
Huh? Their dress shirts are excellent for the price, and their suits are certainly a step up for kids who don't have a lot of $$ to burn yet, but don't want to wear the same cheap crap they got when they were 18
Surprise, JAB is the same cheap crap that your parents got you when you were 18.

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm

breadbucket wrote:To be honest, Its probably better to talk about what not to do

1.) If you wear a jacket, it must NOT be the same color as the pants UNLESS it is the EXACT same color AND fabric.

2.) In regards to "jackets," do not simply wear a suit jacket with different color slacks. It must be either a sport coat or a blazer.

3.) Dark jackets go with light shirts, light jackets go with dark shirts. ALWAYS.

4.) Never wear a patterned jacket unless it is part of a suit

5.) patterned tie goes with a solid shirt, a patterned shirt goes with a solid tie. ALWAYS.

6.) NEVER put patterns over patterns unless you know exactly what you are doing. Even when you do, it will still seem incorrect UNLESS the people around you are aware of which patterns can be layered.
I agree with all of the above except for "light jackets go with dark shirts - ALWAYS." Watch Mad Men - you almost always see Draper wearing a crisp white shirt with his light, shark-skin suits. White shirts work with everything.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed May 09, 2012 4:16 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
alirod12 wrote:And, for the record, "Jos. A. Banks" is never the credited response.
Huh? Their dress shirts are excellent for the price, and their suits are certainly a step up for kids who don't have a lot of $$ to burn yet, but don't want to wear the same cheap crap they got when they were 18
Surprise, JAB is the same cheap crap that your parents got you when you were 18.
For a good number of things, I'd agree. But certain items there are definitely good deals, and seem to be higher quality than other items. The shirts people mentioned, when on sale, fall into that category.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

steven0241

New

Post by steven0241 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Any thoughts about JAB's current deal: Buy 1 blazer, get another blazer and 2 pairs of dress pants free? I'm thinking about dropping $450 on the deal, and today is the last day.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:45 pm

kaiser wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For a good number of things, I'd agree. But certain items there are definitely good deals, and seem to be higher quality than other items. The shirts people mentioned, when on sale, fall into that category.
Agreed, I was just mad about the description of JAB suits as "a step up" from anything.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed May 09, 2012 4:51 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: Agreed, I was just mad about the description of JAB suits as "a step up" from anything.
Keep in mind what my basis of comparison is. When I was in high school, and just beginning college, the only suits I could afford were the ones from Kohls or Sears, or maybe Syms. When I began law school, and at least had a bit more to spend, I did one of the JAB sales, and the suits definitely seemed better than what I was previously wearing. Sure, in the grand scheme, its closer to the lower end of the spectrum. But many people like myself were truly at the bottom end of the spectrum previously, so to me it was def a step up. Will I keep going there once I actually get a full time firm offer? Probably not, since I will be able to get something nicer. But it certainly served its purpose well during law school.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Wed May 09, 2012 4:53 pm

augusta1985 wrote:Check out http://www.bonobos.com

Also, for those of you with a little more $ to burn and don't have a clue as to how to dress, consider joining the Trunk Club. You basically talk with one of their stylists, and they send you a huge FedEX box with tons of new clothes. You are charged for what you end up keeping...
Facebook called. It wants its annoying sponsored ad of that guy's [posterior] in Bonobos back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm

nymario wrote:
augusta1985 wrote:Check out http://www.bonobos.com

Facebook called. It wants its annoying sponsored ad of that guy's [posterior] in Bonobos back.
Touche:)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Can someone suggest some shoes to buy for business casual wear?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri May 11, 2012 6:18 pm

romothesavior wrote: 2) Next up, I'd recommend a walnut or mid-colored brown oxford. Something slightly less formal than (1), but still fairly conservative, say like a blucher instead of a balmoral. Some simple brogueing is alright but don't overdo it; we're just lowly SAs. I'm thinking like AE Cliftons or the J&M McPherson. Maybe even a split-toe like the AE Walton in the chili color. And I know a lot of people dislike them around here, but I also think a tasteful brown square-toe can be a good choice as well. Just don't look like you're wearing flippers on your feet.

Basically, I'm talking about shoes that are appropriate for business casual settings, not "casual" settings, which is what those Clarks you posted are made for (and they're hideous for any situation). While your category (1) is your formal shoe, your (2) shoe should be your "button down and slacks shoe." Resist the urge to go with something too casual, especially if you are working in a more professionally-dressed setting. You want to tone it down from the super-formal black balmorals, but still look sharp, classy, and traditional.

3) Loafers. Loafers are the best. Bit loafers (LinkRemoved) and penny loafers are both great, and I also am a fan of tassle loafers but they aren't the easiest to jump right into (and some would say they have a "grandpa" feel to them... but whatever). I'd start with something simple like a basic penny, or maybe a Venetian if you are in a particularly casual environment. Black and brown are both nice to have. Highly recommended for a business casual environment, but I really love loafers because they are versatile enough to be both business casual and casual (i.e., sockless with shorts). Just don't wear them with a suit, because it is is usually gonna look silly.

At this point, I'd say you have your essentials. If you have your black formal captoes, one or two pairs of brown business casual shoes, and one or two pairs of loafers, you've got a solid little rotation of shoes for a business casual office setting.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Any thoughts on the Clark Straight Fit Plain-Front Chinos from BB? Are they too casual?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Any thoughts on the Clark Straight Fit Plain-Front Chinos from BB? Are they too casual?
seriously dude you're not even going to provide a link. you want us to go out of our way and actually search for these pants

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm

ruski wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:Any thoughts on the Clark Straight Fit Plain-Front Chinos from BB? Are they too casual?
seriously dude you're not even going to provide a link. you want us to go out of our way and actually search for these pants
My apologies - http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... 39421#null

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
ruski wrote:
My apologies - http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... 39421#null
hard to tell from the pic. they look like they are made form that cheap "khaki pants" material which i would stay away from, unless its like casual friday or something. try to get pants that look like the wool pants from suits. hell for 90 bucks you can actually get some real wool pants instead of chinos

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I bought some of the Milano chinos from BB during the sale, which are their slimmest fitting chinos. Not completely sold on them though, still a little too baggy for my taste (at least compared to the J Crew Urban slim chino). The quality is definitely there, so if you are have a bigger build than me they are probably fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm

My firm does biz casual Fridays, so I won't be doing biz casual too often, but was wondering whether you think a sport coat is necessary. I figured most days I would just wear some slacks with either a polo or colored/striped/patterned dress shirt, along with some slightly less formal shoes (i.e. not the black oxfords I would normally wear on formal days). Does that sound like a solid plan, or is it really a necessity to have a sport coat over the summer just for that one Friday a week? And what color/type shoes does you think are best if you were to only buy 1 biz casual pair?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm does biz casual Fridays, so I won't be doing biz casual too often, but was wondering whether you think a sport coat is necessary. I figured most days I would just wear some slacks with either a polo or colored/striped/patterned dress shirt, along with some slightly less formal shoes (i.e. not the black oxfords I would normally wear on formal days). Does that sound like a solid plan, or is it really a necessity to have a sport coat over the summer just for that one Friday a week? An spd what color/type shoes does you think are best if you were to only buy 1 biz casual pair?
Just wear a suit the first Friday and see. Normally business casual doesn't requirea sort coat. But your firm might be really stuffy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Any ideas for briefcases/messenger bags?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm does biz casual Fridays, so I won't be doing biz casual too often, but was wondering whether you think a sport coat is necessary. I figured most days I would just wear some slacks with either a polo or colored/striped/patterned dress shirt, along with some slightly less formal shoes (i.e. not the black oxfords I would normally wear on formal days). Does that sound like a solid plan, or is it really a necessity to have a sport coat over the summer just for that one Friday a week? And what color/type shoes does you think are best if you were to only buy 1 biz casual pair?
If your firm is business formal and business casual on Friday, I kind of doubt a polo is an acceptable choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 4:15 pm

All I have to say is that if you are SAing in a true business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat May 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All I have to say is that if you are SAing as a waiter business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.
FTFY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm at a business casual firm in a mid-size market (small branch office of huge firm) and have been there a couple of weeks. The attorneys there generally wear khakis and button-downs with no ties, but a few of the attorneys do wear ties. The first week or so, I (and the other male SAs I work with) all wore suits. The attorneys commented quite a few times that we really could do business casual and that there was no need to wear a suit. So, we all pretty much went to shirt/tie/suit pants and kept the suit jacket in the office in the event that we were asked to go to court (or somewhere else needing a suit). Even then, my associate "mentor" still commented on the fact that I was wearing a "suit" (though I wasn't wearing the jacket at all). He usually just wears a button-down and khakis, but he also sometimes comes in with a tie on too (on non-court days).

The past couple of days, I decided to go with suit pants and a button-down (no tie) and just kept my jacket hanging in the office with a tie ready to go. The other male SAs (there are only 3 guys) are still wearing ties (and one is still wearing a suit). Am I alright being the only one without a tie, or should I go back to the tie while the other male SAs are wearing them? I've gone to lunch with several of the attorneys (including the hiring partner) and the vast majority of them generally go no-tie.

I assume it's better to match the attorneys than the other SAs, but I don't want to look like the only one who doesn't care either.

TLDR: Business casual firm; attorneys commented on SAs wearing suits; I'm down to a button-down and suit pants/khakis; the other male SAs are still wearing ties; am I ok being the only one without a tie?

Advice Dog

New

Post by Advice Dog » Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a business casual firm in a mid-size market (small branch office of huge firm) and have been there a couple of weeks. The attorneys there generally wear khakis and button-downs with no ties, but a few of the attorneys do wear ties. The first week or so, I (and the other male SAs I work with) all wore suits. The attorneys commented quite a few times that we really could do business casual and that there was no need to wear a suit. So, we all pretty much went to shirt/tie/suit pants and kept the suit jacket in the office in the event that we were asked to go to court (or somewhere else needing a suit). Even then, my associate "mentor" still commented on the fact that I was wearing a "suit" (though I wasn't wearing the jacket at all). He usually just wears a button-down and khakis, but he also sometimes comes in with a tie on too (on non-court days).

The past couple of days, I decided to go with suit pants and a button-down (no tie) and just kept my jacket hanging in the office with a tie ready to go. The other male SAs (there are only 3 guys) are still wearing ties (and one is still wearing a suit). Am I alright being the only one without a tie, or should I go back to the tie while the other male SAs are wearing them? I've gone to lunch with several of the attorneys (including the hiring partner) and the vast majority of them generally go no-tie.

I assume it's better to match the attorneys than the other SAs, but I don't want to look like the only one who doesn't care either.

TLDR: Business casual firm; attorneys commented on SAs wearing suits; I'm down to a button-down and suit pants/khakis; the other male SAs are still wearing ties; am I ok being the only one without a tie?
Dear Gentle Poster,

This is a common test perpetrated by wily partners to see which SAs will break rank. Your work product, attitude, personality, and punctuality play second fiddle to the tie-no-tie decision. Given that you've already spent a few days not wearing a tie, your grim no-offer fate is likely already sealed. I would recommend mass mailing firms for 3L beginning NOW.

Yours, etc.

Advice Dog

(Really, it doesn't matter. I guarantee that you're thinking about it more than the attorneys are. Go tieless and relax. Keep one in the office with your jacket in case you're meeting a client or something).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”