SA Dress Code Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Dress Code

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am

My firm normally has a dress code of Business Casual. I understand I should show up on day 1 in a suit. But how likely is it that they'll allow the summers to wear bizcaz? After how long? I have one really well fitting nice suit, but I'm broke til dem checks start coming in. I could charge a suit or two to my visa but I don't really want to unless I have to.

Can I wait and see if I need another suit or two?

dailygrind

Diamond

Re: SA Dress Code

Post by dailygrind » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 am

Suits take a good bit of time to get tailored, man. + you gotta figure you're gonna grab a few decent suits eventually anyway, and if you do so now instead of later the only real cost is the interest, and in return you get peace of mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 am

dailygrind wrote:Suits take a good bit of time to get tailored, man. + you gotta figure you're gonna grab a few decent suits eventually anyway, and if you do so now instead of later the only real cost is the interest, and in return you get peace of mind.
I think I've decided to get at least 1 more. Not sure if I should get two more.

I have a charcoal, should I get navy or grey?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 am

Why would you show up in a suit on the first day if the dress code is business casual? I showed up in business casual on the first day of my SA and so did everyone else.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 am

Gotta go with navy, unless the charcoal is so dark that it'd be difficult to distinguish from navy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why would you show up in a suit on the first day if the dress code is business casual? I showed up in business casual on the first day of my SA and so did everyone else.
Wearing a suit the first day is just tradition man. Got to respect the forms. Besides, the first day is usually when they introduce you around.

By all means grab another suit. Though at a biz casual firm you aren't going to need more than that unless you go to court a lot. Depending on the firm its either slacks and a tailored shirt with or without a tie. The other reason to wear a suit the first day is to check out how everyone dresses without any risk of being under dressed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why would you show up in a suit on the first day if the dress code is business casual? I showed up in business casual on the first day of my SA and so did everyone else.
Because the firm didn't tell me what the dress code was. I just looked around online.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 am

If they send you an email, wear whatever that email tells you. There's no need to wear a suit if they BC. And feel free to ask them, for God's sake. Recruiting is not full of evil people who will snicker at questions like that.

My firm was BC. I showed in BC the first day. It was orientation. Thank God I did not wear a suit for no reason. Only 2 people out of nearly 30 did. I kept a suit in the office. I wore it once in the span of the next 60 days, and that was only on the last day when I decided to take it home.

ETA: Hello terrible typo...fixed..
Last edited by chipchip on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 am

chipchip wrote:If they send you an email, where whatever that email tells you. There's no need to wear a suit if they BC. And feel free to ask them, for God's sake. Recruiting is not full of evil people who will snicker at questions like that.

My firm was BC. I showed in BC the first day. It was orientation. Thank God I did not wear a suit for no reason. Only 2 people out of nearly 30 did. I kept a suit in the office. I wore it once in the span of the next 60 days, and that was only on the last day when I decided to take it home.
This.

They told us they didn't care what we wore on the first day, but that the dress code was BC/feel free to wear that (plus, IIRC, it was hot as FUARK in NYC in late May/early June). Moreover, IIRC, about half to 2/3 wore BC on the first day.

Finally, on that day, no shits were given about what anyone wore. And everyone got an offer.

Also, it's a good idea to keep a few jackets/ties in the office in case something comes up. I wore BC every day, but had a suit/tie combo in my office closet. Good thing, cuz on a few occasions I was offered a chance to sit in on depos/client meetings and didn't have to say, "um sry I haz no coat and tie lol."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm normally has a dress code of Business Casual. I understand I should show up on day 1 in a suit. But how likely is it that they'll allow the summers to wear bizcaz? After how long? I have one really well fitting nice suit, but I'm broke til dem checks start coming in. I could charge a suit or two to my visa but I don't really want to unless I have to.

Can I wait and see if I need another suit or two?
Your firm doesn't give SAs salary advances? That's how I ended up picking a few suits without having to worry about putting it on a card.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:06 pm

How long does it take to tailor a suit? I have basically a week and half from when my exams are over to when SA starts. Need to get two suits probably.

Will I have time to buy a suit or two during the weekend and then have it tailored during the week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm

My firm is business casual and explicitly told me to wear business casual on the first day.

The recruiting coordinator has also been really friendly and I asked her what men normally wear. She said slacks/khakis/dressshirts, no ties/jackets. I would suggest just asking the recruiting person at the firm if you can.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

are you guys in nyc. firm told us it was BC, but didn't exactly specify we could wear BC on first day.

all the dudes, including myself, came in suits, except for like 1 guy. wearing suit first day of work, even knowing its BC, is pretty standard professional etiquette.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 pm

chipchip wrote:If they send you an email, where whatever that email tells you. There's no need to wear a suit if they BC. And feel free to ask them, for God's sake. Recruiting is not full of evil people who will snicker at questions like that.

Agree with this. I'm wearing biz casual on day one because I know that's what the firm is. If I didn't know, I would email them and ask what to wear and then do that. Don't wear a suit just to wear a suit.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Agree with this. I'm wearing biz casual on day one because I know that's what the firm is. If I didn't know, I would email them and ask what to wear and then do that. Don't wear a suit just to wear a suit.
except the first day, they don't just lead you to your office immediately and then u blend in with everyone on the floor. there is orientation. introductory speech by the managing partner. you will be with your entire class the entire first day together. u dont want to the only guy wearing BC.

i dont want to get into an argument about this though because in all honesty it doesn't matter. no one will remember after the first day. by the third week, try remembering who wore a suit the first day and who didn't. you wont be able to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”