What am I looking at... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What am I looking at...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Top 50% at a top 30 law school, not much above either of those numbers mentioned.

Resume includes a judicial internship 1L summer, 3 years summer work experience at a law firm (during undergrad), membership on the moot court team, and writing for a journal NOT LAW REVIEW.

I am wondering what the future prospects are for a person with this type of resume. I am not deluding under the impression that this is an elite resume, worthy of BigLaw. I am sure it is not. What I am not sure of, however, is how this is going to stack up in the grand scheme of things. Is this resume going to get me SOME job, and if so, what is the best/worst case scenario?

My "narrative" is that I make decent grades at a decent school, but have above average practical experience through the law journal and moot court team. Is this an okay strategy?

This is deliberately general, any and all comments welcome, even the condescending ones. Thanks in advance.

leobowski

Silver

Re: What am I looking at...

Post by leobowski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Your "practical" experience isn't really practical, nor is it any kind of meaningful boost. Pretty squarely average in terms of extracurriculars. Hustle, apply broadly, and take what you can get. If you're a 2L, there may still be some govt. summer internships out there that offer a chance of post-grad employment (check PSlawnet). I wish you the best of luck.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm

i doubt your undergrad experience will carry much weight compared to your 1L and 2L summer experiences. anyhow, you'll get some job, but the quality of the job will definitely depend on how much networking/hustling you put into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Thank you, these were the types of responses I was looking for. I know that my undergrad experience will carry little to no weight here. To leobowski, I am wondering how you would recommend trying to sell yourself if you were saddled with this resume.

It is at least good to know that my grades and experience have not precluded me from getting a decent job, and that if I go and get it, so to speak, it can be gotten.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you, these were the types of responses I was looking for. I know that my undergrad experience will carry little to no weight here. To leobowski, I am wondering how you would recommend trying to sell yourself if you were saddled with this resume.

It is at least good to know that my grades and experience have not precluded me from getting a decent job, and that if I go and get it, so to speak, it can be gotten.

Well what's your current situation? 2L w/ a summer job? No summer job? 3L+ jobless?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm

2L, yes, with a summer job at a place that may make an offer. However, and I really don't want to go into too much detail even while remaining anonymous, I would prefer to work elsewhere for my "real job," although in the same field. I know (hope) that this current opportunity will be something I can fall back on, but I can tell you that it will not pay as well as another job might. This was the "best" thing I could get for my 2L summer, and while it will provide me with more practical experience in the field, I am worried that this just might be it, and that I am not capable of getting anything else out there.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

In your situation, I would maximize my chances at getting a post-grad offer out of the summer gig. You aren't stuck at your first legal job forever, and 3L hiring is practically non-existent. You also probably won't have a meaningful chance at clerkships that will allow you to "trade up" in the legal world.

You have a good shot at post-grad employment, and a damn well decent if not stellar resume. There is a lot to be thankful for in your situation. Good luck, duder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”