Biglaw Tax Attorney Hiring and LLM's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Tax Attorney Hiring and LLM's

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Do most Biglaw firms require incoming tax associates to get their LLM?

nealric

Re: Biglaw Tax Attorney Hiring and LLM's

Post by nealric » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm

A plurality of NYC and DC firms expect new associates to get an LLM at night. It's less common (but not unheard of) in other cities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 pm

nealric wrote:A plurality of NYC and DC firms expect new associates to get an LLM at night. It's less common (but not unheard of) in other cities.
Curious if most of these firms reimburse tuition 100%.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Can someone get the graphic? I'm sure OP is a 3L considering a tax llm from nyls and needs the flowchart.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Can someone get the graphic? I'm sure OP is a 3L considering a tax llm from nyls and needs the flowchart.
The only reason I'm curious is because I plan on only practicing for 3-5 years before moving to a different career (or if I like it enough, I'll stick with it). Tax is interesting to me, but if it requires an LLM, it's not worth it to me- at least not right now. I'd just do corporate law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Can someone get the graphic? I'm sure OP is a 3L considering a tax llm from nyls and needs the flowchart.
The only reason I'm curious is because I plan on only practicing for 3-5 years before moving to a different career (or if I like it enough, I'll stick with it). Tax is interesting to me, but if it requires an LLM, it's not worth it to me- at least not right now. I'd just do corporate law.
Many of the big tax practices will support your going to PT classes for an LLM. I've heard that it's kind of a joke - you attend ~50% of the classes, never have time to prepare, and just go through the motions to get the credential.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Many of the big tax practices will support your going to PT classes for an LLM. I've heard that it's kind of a joke - you attend ~50% of the classes, never have time to prepare, and just go through the motions to get the credential.
I wouldn't call it a joke. Most of the people at my firm who did a PT LLM said it was big chunk of work on top of normal workloads. I did mine FT, and thought the classes were more difficult on average than normal law school classes. At the same time, you could probably skate by without doing much work if you just wanted to pass.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn't call it a joke. Most of the people at my firm who did a PT LLM said it was big chunk of work on top of normal workloads. I did mine FT, and thought the classes were more difficult on average than normal law school classes. At the same time, you could probably skate by without doing much work if you just wanted to pass.
At my school the LLM classes are identical to the JD classes. There is even cross-enrollment and cross-course numbering for students who want to take the different courses. The only difference between the courses is the ratio of seats reserved for JD registration v. LLM registration.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
At my school the LLM classes are identical to the JD classes. There is even cross-enrollment and cross-course numbering for students who want to take the different courses. The only difference between the courses is the ratio of seats reserved for JD registration v. LLM registration.
Do you go to NYU or Georgetown?

If not, I don't see how this is relevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Do you go to NYU or Georgetown?

If not, I don't see how this is relevant.
I go to one of those.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 pm

I went to Georgetown. Sure, there was cross enrollment, but in practice most classes were either JD students or LLM students (or joint degree students). I'm also comparing the workload of general JD classes (i.e. non-tax classes) with an all-tax LLM workload.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”