Jones Day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer and legitimately considering it. Enjoyed my time and think I'll fit with the quasi-unique methods the firm uses
An offer for next summer or an offer from spending this summer there? What office is giving offers this late? I thought DC was slow and they moved a week and a half ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer and legitimately considering it. Enjoyed my time and think I'll fit with the quasi-unique methods the firm uses
An offer for next summer or an offer from spending this summer there? What office is giving offers this late? I thought DC was slow and they moved a week and a half ago.
SA next summer for the NY office. Really isn't slow at all...some schools just finished their OCI on Friday. Every callback I've attended so far has been that particular firm's first day of doing them at all this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:12 pm

So since I haven't heard from Jones Day at all at this point, and it's closing on two weeks since my screener, should I assume that my ding is coming? I interviewed for the Atlanta office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SA next summer for the NY office. Really isn't slow at all...some schools just finished their OCI on Friday. Every callback I've attended so far has been that particular firm's first day of doing them at all this summer.
Sorry I meant slow if you just now got your offer from this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 am

Anyone got any info on the SD office?

For example, is being in a smaller JD office limiting in any way? Does the "suit" culture hold up even there? How are the partners at this office?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:So since I haven't heard from Jones Day at all at this point, and it's closing on two weeks since my screener, should I assume that my ding is coming? I interviewed for the Atlanta office.
No news is better than bad news. Not in the Atlanta office but my office just called back someone who has been in limbo for about two weeks too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So since I haven't heard from Jones Day at all at this point, and it's closing on two weeks since my screener, should I assume that my ding is coming? I interviewed for the Atlanta office.
No news is better than bad news. Not in the Atlanta office but my office just called back someone who has been in limbo for about two weeks too.
Thanks for that. Do you mind sharing what office? Not that it really matters in my case but I'm just curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for that. Do you mind sharing what office? Not that it really matters in my case but I'm just curious.
Don't want to out myself, but one of the larger offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:24 pm

So is it pretty much confirmed that for the most part the salary will be somewhat behind other firms, but that even though the black box model works in the firm's favor financially, it legitimately has the effect of creating a better work environment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is it pretty much confirmed that for the most part the salary will be somewhat behind other firms, but that even though the black box model works in the firm's favor financially, it legitimately has the effect of creating a better work environment?
No. There's a lot of factors here. PM me if you have specific questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:17 am

also waiting on jones day atl after 2+ weeks

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is it pretty much confirmed that for the most part the salary will be somewhat behind other firms, but that even though the black box model works in the firm's favor financially, it legitimately has the effect of creating a better work environment?
No. There's a lot of factors here. PM me if you have specific questions.
Agree with Homestyle. Your characterization is not accurate--for me at least. But I do agree that the system fosters a better working environment. I think this is particularly true of the partner ranks (same system applies).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Can anyone speak about the Pittsburgh office? Everyone I met there seemed great, and from what I understand, the office is steadily growing though still heavily concentrated on lit over corp.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak about the Pittsburgh office? Everyone I met there seemed great, and from what I understand, the office tis steadily growing though still heavily concentrated on lit over corp.
I do quite a bit of transactional work with our guys in Pitt. Two transactions going on right now. The guys I know up there all really enjoy it and Pittsburgh generally.

ETA: #anecdote

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak about the Pittsburgh office? Everyone I met there seemed great, and from what I understand, the office tis steadily growing though still heavily concentrated on lit over corp.
I do quite a bit of transactional work with our guys in Pitt. Two transactions going on right now. The guys I know up there all really enjoy it and Pittsburgh generally.

Thanks a bunch. This may be a long shot, but do you have any sense of how that branch is viewed as a whole by the firm? As in will it continue to grow, is it a sap on the firm's resources, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks a bunch. This may be a long shot, but do you have any sense of how that branch is viewed as a whole by the firm? As in will it continue to grow, is it a sap on the firm's resources, etc.?
I can't think of a single office that I would say that about. The Pittsburgh Partner in Charge is a extremely well respected and among the firm's superstars. The Pitt office also just took on a couple of lateral partners (one M&A; one Employee Benefits & Compensation). See http://www.kinneyrecruiting.com/pittsbu ... ittsburgh/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I can't think of a single office that I would say that about. The Pittsburgh Partner in Charge is a extremely well respected and among the firm's superstars. The Pitt office also just took on a couple of lateral partners (one M&A; one Employee Benefits & Compensation). See http://www.kinneyrecruiting.com/pittsbu ... ittsburgh/
Okay thanks a bunch for that, that's pretty encouraging. I've had some colleagues warn me about going to smaller offices since the politics there can dominate the culture, but I'm pretty sure 80+ attorneys is big enough for that to not happen

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:55 am

Anyone getting offers from Houston yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:23 am

Anyone have any intel on Boston? Not much on this thread about that JD office.

TLSlogin765

New

Post by TLSlogin765 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:53 am

Any word on Jones Day Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Completely superficial info request here, but I'm really torn between offers from a few firms. This is really the last bit that I don't know/was too embarrassed to ask about at the CB:

Can anyone comment on the move JD NY is making downtown? Where the office will be/amenities etc?

Also, how fun the summer program is? Events, dinners, lunches etc?

Also, SA's getting offices or just the general working environment of the SA's at JD NY? Saw on this thread a while back that SA's got their own interior offices but not sure how this will be affected by the move. (For that matter, how the 1st year associate offices will work at new office).

Again, really superficial I know, but I've collected all the info I can on the important things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:27 pm

Does anyone know the pay scale for Jones Day in either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh office? I'm considering one of them, and would love to know where it goes after the initial 145k

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 pm

any clues on the detroit office? Pay, are they taking laterals yet, what their summer class is looking like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:any clues on the detroit office? Pay, are they taking laterals yet, what their summer class is looking like?
The firm just announced a lateral partner in the M&A group going to Detroit. Don't know about associates but it's worth a call. Also don't know if they will be taking summers yet.

Not on your list but an unsolicited commentary: One of the partners selected to start up the office is one of my absolute favorite people in the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any clues on the detroit office? Pay, are they taking laterals yet, what their summer class is looking like?
The firm just announced a lateral partner in the M&A group going to Detroit. Don't know about associates but it's worth a call. Also don't know if they will be taking summers yet.

Not on your list but an unsolicited commentary: One of the partners selected to start up the office is one of my absolute favorite people in the firm.
Pretty sure there's not going to be a summer class for a while. That's too much overhead for that small an office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”