People who know about clerkships, internships, etc... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

People who know about clerkships, internships, etc...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:41 pm

1) How important is it to get a clerkship in LS?
2) What's better: working for a federal judge or a state judge?
3) How good does it look on your resume if you get an internship during LS at the USAO?
4) How much help do these types of internships/externships help with regards to receiving employment at the state/federal level, bar any hiring freezes.
5) What about working for a mid-law firm before graduating?

I understand that this is dependent on what you want to do afterwards. My goal is to work for the feds/state level attorney. Just looking for some insight!

Thanks!

dowu

Platinum

Relevant

Post by dowu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:03 pm

This is relevant to my interests

kalvano

Diamond

Re: People who know about clerkships, internships, etc...

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:20 pm

1) Depends on what you want to do when you graduate. Generally, pretty important.

2) Federal is considered more prestigious. If you have a specific state in which you wish to work, a state supreme or appellate court clerkship in that state might trump a federal clerkship on the other side of the country. It would definitely trump a magistrate clerkship, possibly a district court clerkship, but definitely not a COA clerkship.

3) It looks OK. It's better than some things, not as good as others. All depends on the office you work in. But, forget how it looks. I really enjoyed my time there immensely, and highly recommend it to anyone.

4) Familiarity with the federal government is always somewhat helpful in applying for jobs with federal agencies. If you worked at the USAO, did well in Admin Law, etc., that will be important. It will not trump good grades though.

5) What about it? If you like it and they pay you and the work is fun, then do it.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:08 pm

kalvano wrote:1) Depends on what you want to do when you graduate. Generally, pretty important.

2) Federal is considered more prestigious. If you have a specific state in which you wish to work, a state supreme or appellate court clerkship in that state might trump a federal clerkship on the other side of the country. It would definitely trump a magistrate clerkship, possibly a district court clerkship, but definitely not a COA clerkship.

3) It looks OK. It's better than some things, not as good as others. All depends on the office you work in. But, forget how it looks. I really enjoyed my time there immensely, and highly recommend it to anyone.

4) Familiarity with the federal government is always somewhat helpful in applying for jobs with federal agencies. If you worked at the USAO, did well in Admin Law, etc., that will be important. It will not trump good grades though.

5) What about it? If you like it and they pay you and the work is fun, then do it.

Generally agree with all of this but I wouldn't say clerking is "important" as much as it is really, really helpful. Clerkships (even at the state level) are hard to come by and no one iwll hold it against you for not having one. But, if you want to be a litigator, clerkships can be a tremendous advatnage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:06 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
kalvano wrote:1) Depends on what you want to do when you graduate. Generally, pretty important.

Generally agree with all of this but I wouldn't say clerking is "important" as much as it is really, really helpful. Clerkships (even at the state level) are hard to come by and no one iwll hold it against you for not having one. But, if you want to be a litigator, clerkships can be a tremendous advatnage.

OP here. Thats really good to know. I was really trying to figure out what the best thing to do for going into the DOJ would be. Any clerkship over another? What's optimal?

What about the DOJ honors program? How hard is it to get into? How helpful would it be if one got into the program?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) How important is it to get a clerkship in LS?
Most people don't clerk. Clerking is very important if you want to go into academia. At the top law schools, for your other typical law school outcomes (biglaw, PI, govt), it's not a necessity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:38 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Most people don't clerk. Clerking is very important if you want to go into academia. At the top law schools, for your other typical law school outcomes (biglaw, PI, govt), it's not a necessity.
Clerking is important for academia, as in clerking for a judge OR clerking for an attorney/attorneys office? Does the word "clerkship" in these contexts mean one or the other?

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
Clerking is important for academia, as in clerking for a judge OR clerking for an attorney/attorneys office? Does the word "clerkship" in these contexts mean one or the other?
Definitely Judges. I'm talking about a post-graduation clerkship for a federal judge. Anyone can get a clerkship aka internship/externship at an attorney's office.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Clerking for a judge is what people do after they complete law school. When you are still in law school and work for a judge for a semester, you intern/extern for a judge.

Clerking in other context, like in a law firm or USAO is generally equivalent to internship/externship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:47 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
Definitely Judges. I'm talking about a post-graduation clerkship for a federal judge. Anyone can get a clerkship aka internship/externship at an attorney's office.
Oh, okay. I see. So, I guess what I'm REALLY trying to ask is what is the best thing (intern/extern, etc...) thing you can get while IN LS? Something that would put you in a better than average position? Sorry for all of the stupid questions, but I kind of want to have some kind of idea of what I should be trying for come LS.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Oh, okay. I see. So, I guess what I'm REALLY trying to ask is what is the best thing (intern/extern, etc...) thing you can get while IN LS? Something that would put you in a better than average position? Sorry for all of the stupid questions, but I kind of want to have some kind of idea of what I should be trying for come LS.
During the summer? A summer associate position at a "biglaw" firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:03 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
During the summer? A summer associate position at a "biglaw" firm.
Okay, but what if you're trying to work for the gov? In those cases, what would be best? Internships at the agency you want to work for?

I know most people can't get gov straight away, so then my question is referring to what would set me up best for the track to working for the gov?

BTW, thank you guys for taking the time to ask these questions.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:14 pm

The US gov't is run from the top down, even though our founding fathers preferred this to be not the case.

Therefore, everyone views the "higher" judges as being better/more prestigious/more awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”