Citi Compliance Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Citi Compliance Program

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Anyone heard back yet? Interviews were last week.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Citi Compliance Program

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:32 am

Does anyone know the long-term career effects of entering a program like this, at any kind of institution? Anyone know anyone that's done one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the long-term career effects of entering a program like this, at any kind of institution? Anyone know anyone that's done one?
Interested in this. I would think you couldn't go back to being a lawyer but I wonder what the long-term prospects are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:46 pm

but you are a "lawyer"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Author Message
Anonymous User wrote:but you are a "lawyer"?
You have a JD and can take the bar. But I get the sense that at large banks there are lawyers and there are compliance people. I'd like to know what the career progression for someone on this track is.

qisma

New

Post by qisma » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:34 am

If you are smart and you can hustle, I've seen people move from Compliance into S&T, M&A and one is now a general counsel in private equity at MS. I considered a move into the business myself but ultimately left the securities industry all together. It depends on what you want. You won't really be doing legal/transactional work in compliance, as its not work that requires a JD. But it's a decent paying job with good hours and fairly good job stability (at the rate things are going and with Dodd Frank, financial sector will be over-regulated until the end of mankind).

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

They play baseball in puerto rico.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usfvictor

Bronze

Post by usfvictor » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

MetLife has a similar program. I asked about it last year, but heard no replies. Here is the info:

http://www.metlife.com/careers/developm ... ships.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 pm

qisma wrote:If you are smart and you can hustle, I've seen people move from Compliance into S&T, M&A and one is now a general counsel in private equity at MS. I considered a move into the business myself but ultimately left the securities industry all together. It depends on what you want. You won't really be doing legal/transactional work in compliance, as its not work that requires a JD. But it's a decent paying job with good hours and fairly good job stability (at the rate things are going and with Dodd Frank, financial sector will be over-regulated until the end of mankind).
this is kind of misleading. this is certainly not the standard career progression, and was much more common during the boom years (and even then it was not easy to lateral into such groups). i know of BB who are still conducting layoffs as just a few weeks ago in their front office depts, so i really doubt there will be any lawyers moving in any time soon.

everyone i know in compliance says its crazy boring and monotonous, but the hours are decent and you're making low six figures so things could certainly be worse.

qisma

New

Post by qisma » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Of course it's not standard. I prefaced it by saying "if you are smart and can hustle." Not everyone is smart and not everyone hustles. A lot of people just stayed in compliance, which they may have wanted or maybe not. Either way, you are not in the Legal department nor are you doing true legal work in Compliance, so its not the best path if you want to be an attorney. But this topic was posted only a few months ago, which leads me to believe the Compliance hiring program is still alive at Citigroup. If that's the case, its easier to move around (or try to) once you are hired and then, everything I said still applies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”