Part-Time 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Part-Time 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Got a job offer for at least 10 hours a week, maybe up to 20 or 25.

Should I also get a full time job or is this alright for biglaw?

Would they know I only worked part time over the summer?

Anonymous User

Re: Part-Time 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 pm

OP here: I guess no one has experience with this because it would be a tragically stupid idea.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Better to do something than nothing. I would not write part-time on my resume either, so no one would know, unless they ask. Don't lie.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't think it's that ridiculous (especially not if it's around 20 hours a week). In fact, I know of several people who have part-time judicial internships (like 3 or 4 days a week) and their judge has allowed/encouraged them to get a 2nd non-law job to pay their bills this summer.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 am

I would want a more definite answer on whether it would be closer to 10 or 25. You should let them know that you are interested but I would probably be up-front with them about your concern over the low hours, they might be able to help you out in that area (back up however you present the position to future employers, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 pm

thegrayman wrote:I would want a more definite answer on whether it would be closer to 10 or 25. You should let them know that you are interested but I would probably be up-front with them about your concern over the low hours, they might be able to help you out in that area (back up however you present the position to future employers, etc.).
Not sure. Minimum of 10 is guaranteed though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 am

Last bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:07 am

I worked part time at a small law firm (some might call it shitlaw) over 1L summer and took a class for the other half (since I needed the financial aid to make ends meet). I still ended up with multiple biglaw offers.

Edit: I see your concern is with the hours. My boss was extremely flexible and let me work as many or as few hours as I wanted. Obviously, you don't say "part time" on your resume or voluntarily divulge that part during the interview (it's highly unlikely they'll ask how many hours you worked). Just make sure you have something legally meaningful that you worked on over the summer that you can talk intelligently about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”