Patent bar...or not? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
herpderp

New

Patent bar...or not?

Post by herpderp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello, all. I searched the forums but didn't find anything on my question. I'm a 1L at a T30 at median. The job options for my 1L summer actually being legal jobs is drying up and I'm looking at all the options at this point. Essentially, I'm wondering if it would be a smart or dumb idea to use the summer to study for and take the patent bar. I checked and I qualify to take it, so figured it wouldn't be a bad idea. Alternatively, I could do a study abroad option in the summer, but that's expensive. I spoke with a professor about it and my career services office, but haven't gotten much useful information to be honest.

So, for summer...is it better to study for and take the patent bar? Summer abroad? Or desperately continue the 1L summer job search? Thanks in advance.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: Patent bar...or not?

Post by stratocophic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Find a legal job somewhere doing something, doesn't matter where or what, AND pass the patent bar. It's going to get exponentially more difficult in the very near future, and your resume could use the help because median at a T30 isn't somewhere you want to be.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

stratocophic wrote:Find a legal job somewhere doing something, doesn't matter where or what, AND pass the patent bar. It's going to get exponentially more difficult in the very near future, and your resume could use the help because median at a T30 isn't somewhere you want to be.
TCR. If you're looking for patent gigs, the patent bar will be immensely helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Continue the job search. Lots of 1L internships start opening up in April and May.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm

If you want to do patent prosecution take it. If you want to do patent litigation don't bother. Every 'big law' patent litigation position I interviewed for stated they didn't care if I took the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to do patent prosecution take it. If you want to do patent litigation don't bother. Every 'big law' patent litigation position I interviewed for stated they didn't care if I took the exam.
Median at a T30 may not have the luxury of being picky; it's sure as hell no slam dunk for IP lit even with a tech background. I'd do everything I could to try and maximize the chances that I would be employed at all from that position, even if it's at a patent mill making 90k, and then begin to worry about whether I could turn my nose up at prosecution jobs in favor of biglaw litigation.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you want to do patent prosecution take it. If you want to do patent litigation don't bother. Every 'big law' patent litigation position I interviewed for stated they didn't care if I took the exam.
Median at a T30 may not have the luxury of being picky; it's sure as hell no slam dunk for IP lit even with a tech background. I'd do everything I could to try and maximize the chances that I would be employed at all from that position, even if it's at a patent mill making 90k, and then begin to worry about whether I could turn my nose up at prosecution jobs in favor of biglaw litigation.
Again, TCR. I'm too lazy to dig-up old poasts, but the anon that strat cited (and bolded above) is hilariously incorrect. When I did OCI in 2010, myriad firms hiring for patent lit only loved that I had my reg#. To be sure, however, grades are more important. But again, as strat mentioned, OP isn't in a position to be doing anything that won't maximize his/her chances of getting a jerb.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 pm

+1 to each of the two previous posts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm

When I did OCI in 2010, primarily looking for patent prosecution, nobody seemed to care that I didn't have my registration number. It's not exactly a difficult credential to get. However, it certainly doesn't hurt to get it. I do think that it can help in convincing people that you're genuinely interested in patent prosecution.

Also, the registration number is useful for patent litigators because there are certain litigation-alternative procedures with the PTO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I did OCI in 2010, primarily looking for patent prosecution, nobody seemed to care that I didn't have my registration number. It's not exactly a difficult credential to get. However, it certainly doesn't hurt to get it. I do think that it can help in convincing people that you're genuinely interested in patent prosecution.

Also, the registration number is useful for patent litigators because there are certain litigation-alternative procedures with the PTO.

And at least for some boutiques, the number sometimes serves as a proxy for understanding the underlying practices and doctrines upon which litigation (e.g. Non-FRCP issues) often proceeds. Many litigation issues involve something related to prosecution, so while it's not necessary, the number can still certainly help a potential applicant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I incorporate by reference the comments above.

Although having the patent bar under your belt can be a tremendous asset, it most certainly isn't worth compromising grades to get out of the way. If you have time this summer to fit it in, then go for it... but if you find a better, more enjoyable opportunity (just about anything, really), then go with that.

When it comes to job interviews, Boutique firms and Biglaw firms are looking for different stuff, and the patent bar isn't necessarily one of those things unless you are gunning for a prosecution job. More important to Boutique firms will be any/all relevant scientific work experience you are bringing to the table (and grades of course). More important to Biglaw firms with patent practices will be your grades and whether you are on Law Review or Moot Court. If you get an offer from a firm, chances are they will pay for all of your patent bar review/exam expenses anyway; this is a HUGE money saver!

My recommendation is to find an enjoyable 1L legal job this summer doing something you find interesting. I worked my 1L summer for a criminal trial judge who did ~10 bench trials each day. I have no interest in a career in criminal law, but I found the experience very enjoyable, and I got to see a ton of litigation styles and trial ad. techniques. It gave me a LOT to talk about in my interviews at OCI.

Good luck!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you get an offer from a firm, chances are they will pay for all of your patent bar review/exam expenses anyway; this is a HUGE money saver!
Some firms even pay a stipend or give you paid time off to prep. So if you have other tech assets then this is probably not necessary. On the other hand if all you have is a BS with no WE maybe it would help. Many boutiques have people work in both lit and pros. so it would help to have it. Personally I just tell people I am patent bar eligible and that usually does the trick.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 pm

My concern with recent advice given, at least for someone who is median at a T30:
Anonymous User wrote:I incorporate by reference the comments above.

Although having the patent bar under your belt can be a tremendous asset, it most certainly isn't worth compromising grades to get out of the way. If you have time this summer to fit it in, then go for it... but if you find a better, more enjoyable opportunity (just about anything, really), then go with that.

When it comes to job interviews, Boutique firms and magic unicorns firms are looking for different stuff, and the patent bar isn't necessarily one of those things unless you are gunning for a prosecution job. More important to Boutique firms will be any/all relevant scientific work experience you are bringing to the table (and grades of course). More important to magic unicorns firms with patent practices will be your grades and whether you are on Law Review or Moot Court.
If you get an offer from a firm, chances are they will pay for all of your patent bar review/exam expenses anyway; this is a HUGE money saver!

My recommendation is to find an enjoyable 1L legal job this summer doing something you find interesting. I worked my 1L summer for a criminal trial judge who did ~10 bench trials each day. I have no interest in a career in criminal law, but I found the experience very enjoyable, and I got to see a ton of litigation styles and trial ad. techniques. It gave me a LOT to talk about in my interviews at OCI.

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:51 pm

1L summer was the perfect time for me to get it out of the way. It's a huge "hurry up and wait" from your last exam until Loyola and OCI roll around, and so I just studied on nights and weekends when I got home from work. I took the exam the week between Loyola and OCI, so all I told the Loyola interviewers was that I was taking it the next week, and did they have any tips. That was usually a good enough conversation starter.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 pm

wiseowl wrote:1L summer was the perfect time for me to get it out of the way. It's a huge "hurry up and wait" from your last exam until Loyola and OCI roll around, and so I just studied on nights and weekends when I got home from work. I took the exam the week between Loyola and OCI, so all I told the Loyola interviewers was that I was taking it the next week, and did they have any tips. That was usually a good enough conversation starter.
this is a good tip. TY

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”