How, if at all, to network with this person Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC

Silver

How, if at all, to network with this person

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 pm

I found out that a Class of 2011 alum from my law school is now an associate at a top firm in a secondary market that I am interested in. I would love to work at the firm that he works for (it is my number 1 choice come oci). Is there any value at all in emailing this alum and finding out if he wants to meet for coffee or something? What's the best way to approach this? I would be in the secondary market all summer long so I would have the time to meet.

azntwice

Bronze

Re: How, if at all, to network with this person

Post by azntwice » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 pm

you definitely should reach out. give some reasons for your interest in the secondary market, and your interest in the firm (aka give some reasons for him/her to like you) and just ask. it can't hurt. i tried this with some alums and didn't get any responses, but it also doesn't seem to have hurt me at all.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I tried this with 1,200 alums and people in my desired practice area. Ended up getting about 80 positive responses and meeting with 60. It's worth a shot; make sure you frame it as an inquiry into how he got there/likes it and not a "can you find/give me a job."

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I tried this with 1,200 alums and people in my desired practice area. Ended up getting about 80 positive responses and meeting with 60. It's worth a shot; make sure you frame it as an inquiry into how he got there/likes it and not a "can you find/give me a job."
I agree with this, although I had more like a 50%+ success rate. Maybe it depends on the area. I would also go with a more directed approach; 1,200 alums is ridiculously high. I'd try and meet with or talk on the phone with an alum or two at every firm you're applying to.

So OP, just email this guy and tell him you are interested in learning more about the firm and the work he does. Because he's a young alumni, I doubt he'll have much pull, but he'll probably be enthusiastic about helping. During the conversation, ask him about the firm, the OCI process, advice for school, general lawyering info, etc. Just be casual about it and don't come off as wanting a job. If he seems receptive, ask him if there is anyone else he'd recommend talking to. He may be able to put you in touch with more senior/powerful people at his firm, or help you build your network with his friends at other firms.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice! it is much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”