USAO internship interview advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO internship interview advice

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 am

I have an upcoming interview for an internship during the next semester for the local U.S. Attorney's Office, and I would love input on what the interview will be like.

-I have a firm job lined up for my 2L summer (internship is for during the semester as a 3L), will this be a negative that I need to address? (Firm does not do white-collar crime. I will be doing business litigation.)

-Is it naive to say that I would love to be an AUSA later in my life after working at a firm for a few years?

-If I have a potential interest in academia down the road, is that something that can be mentioned or should that not be talked about?

-Does it matter that I have no strong preference between working with defendants as opposed to prosecuting them? (If anything, I might have slight defendant-friendly leanings.) Is that something I should admit too, or should I be much more "rah, rah, prosecution!"?

-Any specific types of questions I should be ready for that do not come up in firm-type interviews? I am used to firm interviews by now, but don't know if this interview will be similar or not.

Interview is tomorrow morning. Sorry for doing this last minute.

Cinderella

New

Re: USAO internship interview advice

Post by Cinderella » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 am

1) I don't think it will be a negative you need to address. Focus more on why you want to work at the USAO; they'll understand that you have a firm job. Don't brag about it or anything, and don't mention it unless you're asked about it. If you're asked about it, explain what you'll be doing, then move to point #2 below.

2) No. It would probably be a good thing -- maybe the best thing -- you can talk about.

3) Don't talk about this. It won't come up.

4) Do not say you are more defense-oriented. You don't have to be all rah-rah; prosecutors view their role as pursuing justice, even if it means not prosecuting a crime. But justice usually means putting people behind bars, so you can't come off as uncomfortable with that.

5) Why prosecution? Why this office? They might throw more hypos at you than you are used to. When in doubt about anything, remember #4, and that justice =/= cut throat.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:56 am

Have you taken Crim Pro or anything like that? If you have, touch on that, because it will be immensely valuable.

dmeals

New

Post by dmeals » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:49 pm

- Say why you want further litigation exposure
- Say why you want to work for the government/serve the public
- Say why are interested in the prospect of/want to be an AUSA in the future
- Mention you have good writing/research skills. USAO's value writing much more than DA office would

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Bump for this thread. Got an USAO interview for 1L Summer next week and if anyone has any advice about what kind of questions to expect or prepare I'd like to hear them. Really any information at all regarding USAO would be awesome as I don't really know all that much about how they operate or what they expect out of the 1Ls...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm

gabewatch wrote:Bump for this thread. Got an USAO interview for 1L Summer next week and if anyone has any advice about what kind of questions to expect or prepare I'd like to hear them. Really any information at all regarding USAO would be awesome as I don't really know all that much about how they operate or what they expect out of the 1Ls...
It's probably a good bet to prepare for ethics questions.

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 am

Interesting, hadn't really though of that. Any examples? Any other info out there? I saw a bunch of people in the 1L summer threat talking about upcoming USAO interviews they got so there must be some info out there... help?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am

My entire interview, we talked about cars and racing. She was awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”