Clerkship w/ EIC Secondary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship w/ EIC Secondary

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:53 pm

T2, EIC of secondary journal. Top 20% (could go up after this semester obviously). Looking at District and Magistrate judges. Clerkship odds? Currently deciding whether to take the plunge and go for it. Not going to if the odds are ridiculously low though.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship w/ EIC Secondary

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T2, EIC of secondary journal. Top 20% (could go up after this semester obviously). Looking at District and Magistrate judges. Clerkship odds? Currently deciding whether to take the plunge and go for it. Not going to if the odds are ridiculously low though.
District - virtually 0.
Magistrate - odds aren't great, but something above 0.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 am

How about State appellate?

Also, any advice on firms? Any chance at the bigger firms? Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:How about State appellate?

I thought I'd chime in because I'm in similar shoes, so hopefully you'll find my thoughts helpful.

I'm EIC of a secondary at a T40 and miraculously landed a (non-Art. 3, but still federal) clerkship even after being at the 40th percentile after 1L. I decided to try for EIC because I figured why the hell not, I need to do everything I can at this point. It's definitely been worth the work and stress because it has absolutely opened up some doors.

I can't speak to how helpful it's been with firms because I've focused exclusively on working in courts since 1L summer after realizing big law wasn't going to happen. Judges seem to love it. It has come up in every single interview I've done (always gives you tons to talk about), and the judge I'm clerking for spent about 1/3 of our interview asking about it.

As for applying to clerkships, just do it. It can't hurt. Just don't hold your breath.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about State appellate?

I thought I'd chime in because I'm in similar shoes, so hopefully you'll find my thoughts helpful.

I'm EIC of a secondary at a T40 and miraculously landed a (non-Art. 3, but still federal) clerkship even after being at the 40th percentile after 1L. I decided to try for EIC because I figured why the hell not, I need to do everything I can at this point. It's definitely been worth the work and stress because it has absolutely opened up some doors.

I can't speak to how helpful it's been with firms because I've focused exclusively on working in courts since 1L summer after realizing big law wasn't going to happen. Judges seem to love it. It has come up in every single interview I've done (always gives you tons to talk about), and the judge I'm clerking for spent about 1/3 of our interview asking about it.

As for applying to clerkships, just do it. It can't hurt. Just don't hold your breath.
Yea, just apply. Also, you might want to look at Mag. judges like this poster (I assume?) did. They are much less competitive... although I think I'd rather do a state level clerkship then. Your question depends a lot on the market you're in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”