need advice re entertainment law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

need advice re entertainment law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 am

Posting here because I figure this is where 3Ls likely post. Anyone familiar with entertainment law?

I need to identify the legal structure of how theaters license films from the movie studios, and get a sense of the concerns of both parties in those negotiations.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

ps. anon bec i plan to ask this exact question to a partner in my firm if i don't get hits here.

texas man

Bronze

Re: need advice re entertainment law

Post by texas man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm

A movie studio licenses a film to a theater in the form of a non-exclusive license to display audiovisual works (licensing their exclusive right under 17 U.S.C. § 106(5)). Also, non-exclusive licenses do not have to be in writing; they can be implied by conduct.

The rest of the concerns are contractual, including term of duration, percentage $ of ticket sales, etc.

Also, studio will typically require that the actual film is sent back to the studio after the term; the theater has possession of the film in the form of a lease, so leasehold terms will apply.

EDIT: In bigger deals, the studio typically has an exclusive license with their distribution co., and the theater co. usually deals with the distribution co. (as an agent of the studio).

Also, another term is advertising/promotion of the work. Studios often specify what materials can be used, and in many cases only the studio or the studio's agent may supply these materials.
Last edited by texas man on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: need advice re entertainment law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:25 pm

thx - ayone else?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”