Reneging clerkship offer for long-term job. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging clerkship offer for long-term job.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm a 3L and I have a clerkship lined up. A career position opened up (this kind of position rarely has openings) that is pretty much my dream job. I've decided I want to apply for it and, if offered, I will renege on the clerkship because the position begins in August and can't (won't) be deferred.

So, I come to you, TLS, to ask: how do I handle/explain the situation, if at all, in my CL to the new position? Do I just omit any info about my clerkship? Do I mention it explicitly?

Note: I'm not worried at all about the reputation damage the reneging could create for a variety of reasons, so I'm not seeking advice on that, or on whether I should just do the clerkship.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging clerkship offer for long-term job.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Have you considered that while you may not be concerned with the reputation damage, your employer might? A sufficiently annoyed judge may let slip to your boss, and as between you and your judge, your employer is far less likely to be concerned for you.

If you must consider going down this road, you should let your employer know that you already have a clerkship lined up. They may or may not be willing to risk pissing off the judge to take you, but at least then it's their call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you considered that while you may not be concerned with the reputation damage, your employer might? A sufficiently annoyed judge may let slip to your boss, and as between you and your judge, your employer is far less likely to be concerned for you.

If you must consider going down this road, you should let your employer know that you already have a clerkship lined up. They may or may not be willing to risk pissing off the judge to take you, but at least then it's their call.
I should have pointed out 2 things: the positions are on separate coasts and the one I want to apply to doesn't involve litigation, much less in front of the judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Honestly, while it's bad for your reputation, you need to do what's right for you. Nowadays, long term employment is not guaranteed for anyone, even in biglaw.

Especially since they are not in the same market, I would do what you feel is best. I may be facing a similar predicament (accepted offer at small firm in secondary market, may have a dream job in my top market). Do I encourage this behavior? Of course not.

But if you receive an offer very early, and a better one comes along months later, and timing was the only problem, I say go for your dream job.

You worked hard in law school and college, might as well do what you think you will love best.

(I know I just unleashed a bunch of backlash that will condemn this behavior. Let the battles begin!)

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Protip: there is no "long-term employment" in America. Welcome to the 21st century.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:45 pm

If they are on different coasts and different legal fields, sounds pretty safe to go for your "dream job."

Could the renege possibly come up during C&F review for the bar? Would the judge slip that in to be a jerk?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 pm

I say go for it. Judgie will fill the position. No big deal. Judgie will post on a few school's simplicity's that Judgie has an opening, and will have fine students banging down his door in no time.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 pm

ben4847 wrote:I say go for it. Judgie will fill the position. No big deal. Judgie will post on a few school's simplicity's that Judgie has an opening, and will have fine students banging down his door in no time.
Judge will be fine, however OP's school probably just lost future clerkship spots with that judge...Not saying that should control, just something to note.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Do I just omit any info about my clerkship?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 pm

ggocat wrote:
Yes.
And don't tell the judge where specifically you're going either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 pm

seatown12 wrote:
ggocat wrote:
Yes.
And don't tell the judge where specifically you're going either.
In fact, tell him you're changing your name so he can't find you.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Why would you burn every bridge you've built since entering law school?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Why would you burn every bridge you've built since entering law school?
Because the one he's not burning is the only one offering a long term job, obviously.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Is it an article III judge anywhere within a day's drive of a real city? Because if so here's what I reccomend.

1) Tell the judge how awesome Renzo is, and what a great clerk he'd make.
2) Give him Renzo's resume, and tell him it's a shame that he can hire Renzo this term.
3) Leave the building, call chambers and tender resignation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”