SA social events Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: SA social events

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe I'm making a mistake living an hour-long busride commute from my firm for my summer SA in NYC. Sounds like there will be a bunch of late nights that I'm not going to be skipping out of.
You can always order a car to take you home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe I'm making a mistake living an hour-long busride commute from my firm for my summer SA in NYC. Sounds like there will be a bunch of late nights that I'm not going to be skipping out of.
lol if they are willing to pay for a car to drive me all the way an hour outside of NY, then I'd take it, but not sure if thats something they allow

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

lol if they are willing to pay for a car to drive me all the way an hour outside of NY, then I'd take it, but not sure if thats something they allow
Actual lawyers take those cars for even further distances.

bns_77

New

Post by bns_77 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

That's why I would typically skip out after a while (when partners had already left)... It was tricky sometimes and I missed quite a few trains that would've gotten me home at a more reasonable hour.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Actual lawyers take those cars for even further distances.
Black Car Service + Seamless web delivery. Get used to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the no-offers based on event-skippage. Anyone think it's really bad form for an athletic person to skip out on a running event? It's like a 5k so it's not terribly grueling, but it's a few weeks after finals for me and I'm sure that I'm going to be in awful, awful shape at that point. I don't want to sign up for the event and be the slowest finisher at the firm.
JP Morgan corporate challenge? I'll be an SA in NY this summer and was invited to participate with my firm and did sign up, although I had similar concerns about not being terribly competitive in terms of running speed. Seems like a lot of fun and a good social event though, so I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a lot of firms participate.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Every big NY firm I've heard of (including where I summered) pays for either a cab or black car service home after the summer events, or really any event where alcohol is served. I lived in the city so I mostly just took cabs (they tended to be faster than getting a car), but plenty of other SAs took the cars after every event. The amount of money firms spend on summer classes is more than you probably realize, and the last thing they want is for something to happen to one of their SAs after one of their events that ends up being publicized in the NYT, WSJ, ATL, etc when a simple cab/car ride home would have precluded it from occurring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 am

Kinda dreading only b/c I'm heading to a V50 that with an incoming SA class of less than 10 people. Not going to be easy to duck out on anything. Outgoing enough to hold my own though.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 am

Do all of us understand we are being paid $3,100/week for knowing mostly nothing about actual legal work, and during the summer we're probably working only 40-50 weeks instead of 60-80 that actual attorneys do? On top of this, they are providing free food and free alcohol. Why are we complaining about this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the no-offers based on event-skippage. Anyone think it's really bad form for an athletic person to skip out on a running event? It's like a 5k so it's not terribly grueling, but it's a few weeks after finals for me and I'm sure that I'm going to be in awful, awful shape at that point. I don't want to sign up for the event and be the slowest finisher at the firm.
JP Morgan corporate challenge? I'll be an SA in NY this summer and was invited to participate with my firm and did sign up, although I had similar concerns about not being terribly competitive in terms of running speed. Seems like a lot of fun and a good social event though, so I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a lot of firms participate.
I also assumed this is the Corporate Challenge. I'll be doing it too. It will probably be a handful of people running 5-6 minute miles, followed by a huge mob of out of shape cubicle dwellers walking or slowly jogging. I wouldn't worry about being out of shape due to finals, you'll fit right in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 am

This honestly sounds like a lot of young kids with no actual work experience in a competitive environment where everyone is assumed to be equally smart (no not on a baseless GPA comparison which the school nicely organizes for you as your parents once did for you as a child) but smart because you are there....if you want good work and good connections and everyone is seen as equally smart then you must do more....DUH! You must get to know people and partners like baseball, golf, etc....so get used to it or get used to others moving forward in their careers while you complain its not fair--sorry kids, your .07 higher GPA from peering into books and taking silent tests by yourself will no longer help you...its time to actually work and prove yourself in the world....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I also assumed this is the Corporate Challenge. I'll be doing it too. It will probably be a handful of people running 5-6 minute miles, followed by a huge mob of out of shape cubicle dwellers walking or slowly jogging. I wouldn't worry about being out of shape due to finals, you'll fit right in.
Well, fuck. I didn't sign up with my firm because of medical issues (though I didn't say that was why). I hope they don't hold it against me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol, yeah, it is. Alright, you all have convinced me. If I'm getting horribly shown up I'm going to do my best to find the TLSers and kick them square in the knee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a NYC summer and am thankful my firm hasn't sent anything on this since I'm the least athletic person on the planet and the last thing I want to do is run/walk a 5k. (Mostly because I'd probably pass out at the end and make a fool of myself, which would also probably lead to a no-offer :lol:).

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the social stuff. I mean, c'mon, we're basically being paid to drink a lot and talk to people. Is it really that hard for most law students?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 pm

partner asked me to play gofl but i suck. what do i do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:partner asked me to play gofl but i suck. what do i do?
Dont suck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:partner asked me to play gofl but i suck. what do i do?
Play quickly, don't get pissed off, and maybe ask him for advice at the turn - huge ego boost for golfers.

Don't show up wearing tennis shoes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:32 pm

http://bfy.tw/6kmP

I respect you searching for this old thread to ask this question though

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:01 pm

hairbear7 wrote:http://bfy.tw/6kmP

To be fair I think he was more asking about how to deal with the social aspect of sucking, or if it was acceptable to decline not actually looking for tips on how to golf better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Auxilio wrote:
hairbear7 wrote:http://bfy.tw/6kmP

To be fair I think he was more asking about how to deal with the social aspect of sucking, or if it was acceptable to decline not actually looking for tips on how to golf better.

Thank you and yes that is exactly what I was asking? how rude is to to just say i was playing this wekeend adn that i injured myself or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:38 pm

desertlaw wrote:Do all of us understand we are being paid $3,100/week for knowing mostly nothing about actual legal work, and during the summer we're probably working only 40-50 weeks instead of 60-80 that actual attorneys do? On top of this, they are providing free food and free alcohol. Why are we complaining about this?
I think the problems can arise when these firms don't take into account that there is a difference between skipping social events/leaving early for no reason and doing so because of other responsibilities. I worked at a firm my 1L summer and was not offered to come back for 2L summer. The explanation was basically leaving early from a bunch of events showed "lack of enthusiasm." And having three children at home and being the caregiver four elderly family members was apparently not a good enough excuse for this firm, even though I addressed this in detail with recruiting in advance as well as the partners in my practice group. Lame.

The next summer, I really had no choice but to do the same thing, but at a different firm. It wasn't like I could just ignore my family responsibilities so I could go bowling or to baseball games. My current firm was actually understanding of the circumstances and helped me do things like get extra lunches set up instead. The firm continues to be understanding with flexible work arrangements.

All of this is firm specific, and also depends on how you well you can handle it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Do all of us understand we are being paid $3,100/week for knowing mostly nothing about actual legal work, and during the summer we're probably working only 40-50 weeks instead of 60-80 that actual attorneys do? On top of this, they are providing free food and free alcohol. Why are we complaining about this?
I think the problems can arise when these firms don't take into account that there is a difference between skipping social events/leaving early for no reason and doing so because of other responsibilities. I worked at a firm my 1L summer and was not offered to come back for 2L summer. The explanation was basically leaving early from a bunch of events showed "lack of enthusiasm." And having three children at home and being the caregiver four elderly family members was apparently not a good enough excuse for this firm, even though I addressed this in detail with recruiting in advance as well as the partners in my practice group. Lame.

The next summer, I really had no choice but to do the same thing, but at a different firm. It wasn't like I could just ignore my family responsibilities so I could go bowling or to baseball games. My current firm was actually understanding of the circumstances and helped me do things like get extra lunches set up instead. The firm continues to be understanding with flexible work arrangements.

All of this is firm specific, and also depends on how you well you can handle it.
I agree this is firm specific, and I don't mean to takeaway from anything you're doing with your family because it is obviously commendable, but it is still obviously a career risk (as you saw 1L summer). Luckily it worked out for you, but at the end of the day this is Biglaw where they pay us well for almost no skills, so these events aren't seen as just "bowling," but are seen as part of your career and career development. Again, it obviously varies between firms how much they care, but they probably do consider that if someone can't make it to fun after work social events, how are they ever going to be able to stay late for not-fun work assignments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I mean I hate to be a dick but why did you assume that you would be able to do biglaw and have those types of family commitments on yourself, especially while still in law school? It would seem apparent that you are a poster child for not doing biglaw. But any who.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Again, it obviously varies between firms how much they care, but they probably do consider that if someone can't make it to fun after work social events, how are they ever going to be able to stay late for not-fun work assignments.
That's the whole problem, that these two are considered the same. These social events are scheduled during prime time for school pick-ups etc. For late-night assignments, it is completely feasible to be out of pocket for an hour or so to take care of family stuff and then sign back on. You can't really do that for happy hour or whatever.

And I am sure this is a personal thing for me, but while I am willing to ask my husband to take on some additional family tasks/chores if I have a huge filing or other late-night project, it is really hard to ask someone who also works long hours in a demanding career to take on additional stuff so I can go to social events. I did that a few times during my second summer though because I was afraid of not getting an offer. And I get that that is just part of firm politics, but I think the point is firms can be flexible for people who are non-traditional hires. Well, they can be if they want to.

And yeah, I totally agree it is a liability to be a summer associate with significant responsibilities outside of work, at least at certain firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean I hate to be a dick but why did you assume that you would be able to do biglaw and have those types of family commitments on yourself, especially while still in law school? It would seem apparent that you are a poster child for not doing biglaw. But any who.
Meh I am a mid-level associate, am doing very well at my firm, and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. My firm's flexibility helps with that, but it also helps that I actually really like my job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”