LR (no position) or Secondary Journal (Position)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LR (no position) or Secondary Journal (Position)?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 am

What is more valuable/important for employers?
LR with no position, or secondary journal with important position (EIC or managing)?

KMaine

Silver

Re: LR (no position) or Secondary Journal (Position)?

Post by KMaine » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 am

Law Review. Besides, most employers won't even know about editorial board positions when they offer you an SA.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 am

LR. Some schools' secondary journals aren't selective (at H you just sign up I think, BU I think around 50% of the class is on one).

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:30 am

Blindmelon wrote:LR. Some schools' secondary journals aren't selective (at H you just sign up I think, BU I think around 50% of the class is on one).
Yes, I have a friend at H and he confirmed their secondary journals work that way. At my T14 over 80% of the people who do the competition get on a journal, but very few get on main journal. Being the lowest grunt on main is seen as being better than EIC on a secondary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:33 pm

As EIC of a top secondary journal, I would trade places with anyone on our flagship Law Review for purposes of clerkship applications. It definitely makes a difference; a secondary board position, even EIC, should be considered a fallback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm EIC of a secondary journal and got a clerkship even though the EIC of our LR didn't.

So, yeah.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm EIC of a secondary journal and got a clerkship even though the EIC of our LR didn't.

So, yeah.
Congrats on your success, that is awesome. But it's certainly a huge exception to the rule. EIC of the LR is usually going to be looked at as much better than the EIC of the secondary.

The answer to this is question is LR. Maybe EIC of a secondary would be viewed better than just some LR staff editor, but for virtually any other position, LR no position > secondary position.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm EIC of a secondary journal and got a clerkship even though the EIC of our LR didn't.

So, yeah.
I didn't realize that correlation is causation. Clerkships are about grades + journal. Being EIC of LR doesn't mean you have stellar grades - a lot of people on the LR eboard at my school were not in the top 10%. Hell, I made LR when I was barely in the top 1/3rd. EIC of LR could have targeted a different market/different clerkships, etc. Theres too many factors to make your point relevant. I actually know someone near median and no journal who got a federal clerkship - that doesn't mean you should not study or try to get good grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 am

Blindmelon wrote:

So, yeah.
I didn't realize that correlation is causation. Clerkships are about grades + journal. Being EIC of LR doesn't mean you have stellar grades - a lot of people on the LR eboard at my school were not in the top 10%. Hell, I made LR when I was barely in the top 1/3rd. EIC of LR could have targeted a different market/different clerkships, etc. Theres too many factors to make your point relevant. I actually know someone near median and no journal who got a federal clerkship - that doesn't mean you should not study or try to get good grades.
OP here. I knew I should have expounded on my thoughts.

I didn't mean to suggest correlation = causation. I know I am very, very much an exception to many rules. I should have expounded on the fact that, from my anecdotal experience, being on LR doesn't seem to help that much. At my school, getting on LR is almost entirely based on grades, so those who made it don't really need much of a boost, anyway. Surprisingly, though, I know plenty of people on LR who don't have anything lined up (yes, I fully understand employment is based on a lot of factors).

Yes, I know that LR is huge and people should aim for it, but I was just trying to counter the seemingly LR or you're screwed viewpoints going on in this thread. I and other EICs of the secondaries at my school have all found being EIC to be a big, big boost. I personally find it very hard to believe it's not better than just being on LR. Ultimately, all of this seems pretty hard to gauge (goes without saying) so I am wary of sweeping statements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

So, yeah.

I didn't mean to suggest correlation = causation. I know I am very, very much an exception to many rules. I should have expounded on the fact that, from my anecdotal experience, being on LR doesn't seem to help that much. At my school, getting on LR is almost entirely based on grades, so those who made it don't really need much of a boost, anyway. Surprisingly, though, I know plenty of people on LR who don't have anything lined up (yes, I fully understand employment is based on a lot of factors).

Yes, I know that LR is huge and people should aim for it, but I was just trying to counter the seemingly LR or you're screwed viewpoints going on in this thread. I and other EICs of the secondaries at my school have all found being EIC to be a big, big boost. I personally find it very hard to believe it's not better than just being on LR. Ultimately, all of this seems pretty hard to gauge (goes without saying) so I am wary of sweeping statements.

Looks like we got a special snowflake guys!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 am

Geetar Man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

So, yeah.

gb2 4chan, you tool. I'm not trying to toot my horn, I'm trying to give my honest opinion on the topic with relevant background.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: OP here. I knew I should have expounded on my thoughts.

gb2 4chan, you tool. I'm not trying to toot my horn, I'm trying to give my honest opinion on the topic with relevant background.
Then why didn't you post relevant stuff in the OP. seems like you were fishing by asking a question and then saying, "op here: I'm not on LR, but I know X is just as good, maybe better. Seems like a troll.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 am

Geetar Man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: OP here. I knew I should have expounded on my thoughts.

Then why didn't you post relevant stuff in the OP. seems like you were fishing by asking a question and then saying, "op here: I'm not on LR, but I know X is just as good, maybe better. Seems like a troll.
Fair point. To be honest, it's because I was hesitant to post anything from the get-go because of how much trolling goes on on this site, and that people would think I was humblebragging. I don't know how one fishes anonymously, though, or why one would do that.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

So, yeah.

I don't think anyone is saying if you don't have LR you're screwed. Everyone is just saying that LR is a bigger deal than any secondary journal position. LR is by no means necessary to get a good job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”