Paralegal out of Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mootstar

New

Paralegal out of Law School

Post by mootstar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:27 pm

So I struck at OCI for Big Law, but I still want Big Law. Will Big Law hire me as a paralegal? I don't care about the money - I just want Big Law.

Guchster

Silver

Re: Paralegal out of Law School

Post by Guchster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 pm

lol 8)

try moar.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Tcr is that this would kill your odds at ever seuring big law as a lawyer. I'd take a smaller firm. What law school is this, btw?

mootstar

New

Post by mootstar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Would a Lawyer working as a paralegal in Big Law be an attractive candidate for Boutique or Mid Size firms?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:35 pm

mootstar wrote:So I struck at OCI for Big Law, but I still want Big Law. Will Big Law hire me as a paralegal? I don't care about the money - I just want Big Law.
As a current big law paralegal, WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A BIG LAW PARALEGAL?! The pay sucks and personally, there are many, many other things I would rather do for comparable pay.

But to answer your question and based on my limited knowledge of firm hiring practices, I think most firms would consider you overqualified to be a paralegal. Maybe try for a law clerk position at a firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mootstar

New

Post by mootstar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
mootstar wrote:So I struck at OCI for Big Law, but I still want Big Law. Will Big Law hire me as a paralegal? I don't care about the money - I just want Big Law.
As a current big law paralegal, WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A BIG LAW PARALEGAL?! The pay sucks and personally, there are many, many other things I would rather do for comparable pay.

But to answer your question and based on my limited knowledge of firm hiring practices, I think most firms would consider you overqualified to be a paralegal. Maybe try for a law clerk position at a firm?
Do you mean "Of Counsel?" As in non-partner track? How do I know which firms have this hiring practice?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:49 pm

mootstar wrote: Do you mean "Of Counsel?" As in non-partner track? How do I know which firms have this hiring practice?
First of all: Disclaimer that I am a 0L. However, I have worked in big law firms, mid-size law firms, and small plaintiff's practices. Take that how you will.

No, I'm not referring to non-partnership track associate positions. Law clerks are one step up from paralegals - they are usually kids who have gone to law school and do some legal research and writing work, at least at my firm. Unfortunately, the clerks at my firm were paralegals before they went to law school and were "promoted" to the clerk position after they started law school.

So, I'm not sure how you would go about finding out which firms do this (maybe mass mail your resume and also ask in your correspondence if there is a law clerk option you can apply for) - just expect that these positions pay much less than summer associate positions - which according to your OP you are ok with.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:04 pm

in many cases the law clerk positions are selective - among law students/graduates who have not passed the bar. they have a decent chance of becoming attorneys once they get their licenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”