How to Handle an Offer While Waiting to Hear Back Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrPapagiorgio

Gold

How to Handle an Offer While Waiting to Hear Back

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:45 pm

I've been fortunate enough to receive an offer from a boutique firm that I wouldn't mind working with this summer, but I'm waiting to hear back from others that I am more interested in. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I don't know what to even search with.

Obviously I can't say something along the lines of "Thanks for the offer but I can't accept until I hear back from others that I would take over you in a heartbeat." What is the protocol when holding off on acceptance while waiting for others without sounding like a douche? I don't want to turn them down in case I'm rejected by the others. Thanks.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: How to Handle an Offer While Waiting to Hear Back

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:52 pm

(a) Make sure you know the deadline to accept your offer.

(b) Inform them that you'll need to take some time to decide between the options you have at the moment, but that you'll definitely inform them of your decision well before the deadline.

traehekat

Gold

Re: How to Handle an Offer While Waiting to Hear Back

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:(a) Make sure you know the deadline to accept your offer.

(b) Inform them that you'll need to take some time to decide between the options you have at the moment, but that you'll definitely inform them of your decision well before the deadline.
This. I would also add that if you really want to work for some of the other firms you are waiting on, I would get in touch with them as you get closer to the acceptance deadline of the offer you already have and let them know that you are still highly interested in being with them this summer, however you have a current offer on the table with a deadline approaching that you expect you will accept if something else doesn't come up (not exactly word for word but something along those lines).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”